Director of Educational Products and Services
- Position Type
- Full Time
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is a non-profit membership organization that serves the needs of tree care professionals, and promotes the profession of arboriculture around the world. ISA is known as the industry authority on research, education and professional development. Each role in the organization plays an important part in delivering excellent member benefits and customer service.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this strategically-focused role is responsible for translating company business strategy and organizational needs into educational strategies and solutions related to industry educational products and services. Ensures that the ISA provides internationally recognized professional arboriculture and urban forestry educational materials, curriculum, and programming to advance the science of arboriculture and improve tree care practices. Provides leadership to ISA’s educational products and services team, including the branches of publications, science and research, e-learning, educational development, standards and practices, and technical support. Bears ultimate responsibility for developing and maintaining ISA’s high standards for science-based, peer-reviewed technical content, as well as high-quality in publishing and delivery of best in class educational programming.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands ISA’s Mission and adheres to organization and staff core values.
- Contributes to the strategic planning process and collaborates with the internal Staff Director Team to provide leadership in the implementation of the ISA strategic plan as defined by the ISA Ends Policies established by the Board of Directors, and establishes, coordinates and monitors departmental goals and initiatives that support ISA’s strategic plan.
- Provides leadership for team and clearly defines expectations of staff to meet departmental goals. Coaches and counsels as needed and holds staff accountable to deliver results. Evaluates staff performance in relation to personal, departmental, and organizational goals. Assists with prioritization and the removal of roadblocks.
- Using competitive intelligence data, develops and maintains a continual 5 year ISA Product Roadmap that aligns with the ISA Ends Statements and organizational goals for educational products and services that meet the needs ISA members, ISA credential holders and the industry.
- Oversees product lifecycle from concept to delivery.
- Develops business plans and creates budgets for the Educational Products and Services (EPS) Department and various committees. Reviews variance reports and effectively anticipates and communicates budget variances to Executive Director as necessary.
- Incorporates proven adult learning principles for curriculum that is appropriate for multiple modes of delivery including but not limited to classroom learning, online learning, virtual and remote learning, proven modes of evaluation, technological advancements, and other new concepts and mechanisms into all educational programs and products that support ISA’s certifications and qualifications as well as ISA’s organizational strategy and mission.
- Analyzes data to synthesize project plans and to monitor program, project, and personnel performance to ensure that organizational objectives are met.
- Prepares progress reports, annual reports, update presentations, analyses, and evaluations of departmental projects and programs for the executive director, Board of Directors, and Council of Representatives as requested.
- In collaboration with the sales and marketing team, leads the development of educational programming for ISA Conferences, Symposiums, and Regional Congresses.
- Provides educational programming for various ISA events, as needed.
- Develops departmental and committee policies and procedures for various departmental and committee structures and functions.
- Oversees program and project development based upon the needs of the profession and ensures that existing programs are well supported and widely accepted.
- Oversees ISA serial publications such as Arborist News and Arboriculture and Urban Forestry.
- Protects and fortifies ISA’s scientific, peer review standards.
- Oversees day-to-day operation of the EPS Department through development and management of department personnel and processes.
- Works closely with the Director of Credentialing in the planning, development, and maintenance of qualifications, and ensures that the education/training components of qualifications are compliant with standards and best practices.
- Oversees copyright protection and permissions processes to protect ISA’s intellectual property.
- Works with volunteers, ISA components, EPS staff, and outside vendors to develop, maintain, and deliver ISA educational products and services.
- Deliver professional presentations to diverse audiences about ISA and ISA educational products.
- Works with and serves as liaison to several ISA committees, editorial boards, review teams, and working groups to advance ISA objectives.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement. Encourages staff to look for ways to improve department processes, policies, procedures, structure, and operations that result in improved efficiency and a positive experience.
- Works with other staff directors in managing cross-departmental functions, especially in terms of providing a positive customer experience whenever possible.
- Attends seminars and takes part in other educational opportunities to stay abreast of developments in the arboriculture and educational product development professions.
Yes; 5 direct reports and 1 indirect report.
Management responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring decisions, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; resolving conflict and promoting positive employee relations in a collaborative work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field from an accredited college or university; Master’s degree preferred; or at least 8 years’ related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferred MS, Training & Learning Technology; MA Education/Adult Education and Training
- Certified Professional in Learning & Performance (CPLP) certification is a plus.
- Technical experience working with web-based education programs, systems, database management, Learning Management Software (LMS) and general business processes related to this area.
- Minimum of 5 years proven experience successfully leading an educational development team.
- Working knowledge of Kirkpatrick’s Model of Evaluation.
- Prior project management experience exhibiting superior organizational skills and attention to detail is required.
- Knowledge/involvement/experience with serial publications is preferred.
- Knowledge of, and experience in the arboriculture profession and industry is preferred.
- Experience working internationally is a plus.
- Experience working in a nonprofit membership association is a plus.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written. Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond diplomatically to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to write articles for various publications and audiences.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, volunteers, and/or boards of directors.
Decision Making/Reasoning Ability
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to critically evaluate personnel management issues and define and implement corrective actions to be taken, if necessary.
- Ability to create budgets and interpret and analyze financial data.
- Strong project management
- Strong personnel leadership skills.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external customers.
- This position requires occasional lifting, under 25 lbs.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work. The position may require work outside of normal office hours to meet deadlines and support work-related travel.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- This position will require moderate domestic and international travel.
Technology and Equipment
- Microsoft Windows 10 and Office 365.
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Proficient in current learning technologies such as LMS and eLearning platforms.
- Ability to utilize database applications and the internet.
- Smart phone
ISA is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Downtown Atlanta, GA. This position is not eligible for remote work.
More searches like this
- Education / Teaching Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Executive / Senior Management Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Program / Project Management Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Research Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Technology / Data Management Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta