Outreach & Harm Reduction Specialist
1 day left
- Experience Level
The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion (PAD) Initiative is a coordinating agency that strives to reduce the number of people in jails who could be better served by social and behavioral health services. Through our partnerships with the Atlanta Police Department and local criminal justice agencies, we divert individuals from arrest and work to remove barriers to their success.
Position: Outreach & Harm Reduction Specialist
Classification: Full Time (Non-Exempt), with morning & overnight hours as needed
Supervisor: Care Navigation Manager, Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative
The Outreach & Harm Reduction Specialist will work in a two-person team to conduct outreach to PAD participants, potential participants, and other community members to promote engagement in PAD services and harm reduction. The Outreach & Harm Reduction Team will respond to requests for mobile diversions, including screening participants and making preliminary acceptance into the program. The team will also provide timely response to the Atlanta Police Department and other law enforcement officers regarding PAD participants and/or potential participants. This position requires extensive and ongoing street outreach with community members that are vulnerable to police contact based on their experience of poverty, lack of housing, survival activities, mental health needs, or substance use. The Outreach & Care Navigation Specialist will seek to connect/reconnect individuals to PAD Care Navigators and other service providers, and provide harm reduction support to PAD participants.
- Provide on-call diversion referral services to Atlanta Police Department officers during mobile diversion hours;
- At time of screening, assess and address emergent/immediate needs of diverted individuals, including need for medical care, food, and clothing;
- Conduct daily street outreach to engage individuals who have been referred to PAD with the purpose of facilitating completion of intake process and ongoing engagement with care navigation services;
- Conduct occasional overnight street outreach with specific goal to connect with survival sex workers;
- Work closely with the PAD Program Manager to develop relationships with Atlanta Police Department officers and other law enforcement, including but not limited to attending roll calls, precinct visits, APD trainings, and outreach strategy meetings;
- Provide timely response to APD officers and other law enforcement regarding PAD participants when PAD care navigators are not available;
- Provide harm reduction and barrier reduction support to PAD participants, community members and self-referrals;
- Work closely with the Pad Care Navigation Team to develop and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with PAD partners and other services and advocate on behalf of PAD participants and other community members;
- Work to increase understanding of harm reduction, mental health, and trauma and oppression (including related to race, gender identity, sexual orientation, and health status) within the community through participation in neighborhood association meetings, events, etc;
- Participate in on-going trainings, meetings, and forums that support the principles of PAD;
- Maintain confidentiality and respect for PAD participants or potential participants related to all personal information, including but not limited to physical and mental health status, gender identity, drug usage, conviction or arrest history, and immigrant status;
- Commit to ongoing personal, professional, and team leadership development.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, relevant experience may substitute for degree;
- Valid Driver’s License required;
- Demonstrated ability providing street based outreach and engagement;
- Experience working in homeless outreach or providing direct services to persons experiencing homelessness;
- Demonstrated knowledge of harm reduction theory/applications;
- Experience working with individuals who have experienced trauma and marginalization;
- Demonstrated experience developing positive, collaborative relationships with law enforcement and social services providers;
- Knowledge of social services resources in metro Atlanta and surrounding counties preferred;
- Experience working with formerly incarcerated people, sex workers, Trans people, and LGBQ+ people preferred.
The Atlanta/Fulton County Pre-Arrest Diversion Initiative is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, qualified handicap or disabled status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
To apply, submit the following application documents IN PDF format:
- A cover letter describing your relevant experience and why you are interested in PAD
- A resume
- Contact information for three references (one MUST be a former supervisor)
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Direct Service / Social Service Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Legal Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Social Work / Counseling Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $40,000 - $49,999 Full Time jobs in Atlanta