- Experience Level
Co-founded in 2005 by Robert Redford and his son James, The Redford Center draws on the family’s deep expertise in filmmaking and activism to produce, fund, inspire and fiscally sponsor impact driven media projects that showcase stories of people taking action to protect and restore the planet. We are optimistic and hopeful in our storytelling approach. Our films and campaigns are designed to spark dialogue that engages new and diverse audiences in addressing frontline environmental issues. We are a nimble, mission-driven group that greatly values operational efficiency, creative resourcefulness and fulfilled team members.
The Redford Center is looking for a Development Manager to advance our efforts to engage with and grow our donor community in order to increase our environmental impact. This position will manage all aspects of The Redford Center’s fundraising program and development strategies to raise our $1.5M (and growing) annual budget. This person will report to the Executive Director, collaborate with the Director of Grants and be responsible for advancing our efforts to identify, develop and secure ongoing funding for operations, as well as existing and future planned programming. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, self-starter who thrives in a collaborative, small team environment and enjoys combining higher level strategic thinking with hands-on management and implementation. This is a position intended for growth as we will be building out our development team over time.
- Manage The Redford Center’s annual development cycle and execute fundraising plans to achieve financial and strategic funding goals, and further the mission and programs.
- Prospect, cultivate and solicit gifts from corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Act as a liaison for Redford Center donors and prospects, maintain relationships and conduct timely follow-up.
- Ensure consistent and timely development and distribution of communications to donors and prospects, including timely acknowledgement of gifts.
- Write and submit grant proposals, as well as letters of inquiry and reports, and manage the calendar of grant submission and reporting deadlines.
- Research donor prospects and prepare research summaries.
- Arrange for and prepare the Executive Director and Board of Directors (as needed) for cultivation and solicitation meetings. Prepare donor briefs and attend as needed.
- Manage all fundraising and donor cultivation events.
- Develop and execute annual spring and year-end appeals: hard copy mailings, digital outreach and all follow-up. Ensure donor mailing list is consistently updated and relevant.
- Manage database of donor records (Daylite), including entering donor gifts, tracking correspondence, creating projects, managing workflow and pulling reports.
- Collaborate with Senior Communications Manager on crafting donor-focused digital strategies—that leverage social media channels and online tools, platforms and data—to help steward, engage and grow our donor community.
- 5+ years of fundraising experience, including development administration, strategy, cultivation and prospecting.
- Experience with event planning and execution.
- Exceptional attention to detail, communication skills and writing skills.
- Team-oriented, with a collaborative and versatile working style.
- Ability to shift priorities and meet deadlines, while keeping supervisor informed.
- Experience effectively using donor databases.
- Strong interest in promoting environmental progress and a more equitable and sustainable future.
- Background and/or interest in film and media a plus.
This is a full-time position located in The Redford Center’s headquarters in the heart of The Presidio’s beautiful main post campus in San Francisco, California. Compensation includes annual salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package, including generous paid time off, 100% coverage of employees’ health, dental and vision insurance, commuting expense reimbursement and participation in a 403b retirement plan.
The Redford Center celebrates diversity and equal opportunity as an organizational priority. We are building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, cultures, skills and experiences, knowing that the more inclusive we are, the more successful we will be.
To apply, please email your resume, two sample grant proposals that you principally wrote and a cover letter detailing relevant experience, salary requirements and interest in the position to Jennifer Fish at email@example.com. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis.