Back End Developer
6 days left
- Experience Level
The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) is the Philadelphia region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization. We believe DVRPC is a place to work, learn, and create a career in a professional and stimulating environment that values diversity, innovation, and bringing your best self to work. If your background and experience match the following vacancy in the Information Technology Department, we would like to hear from you
DVRPC is seeking a Back End Developer to plan, develop, and maintain data APIs for web and intranet applications. Working closely in a team including a Front End Developer, Senior Database Application Developer, graphic designers, GIS staff, and project managers, this role is responsible for building and maintaining data storage, retrieval, and API (Application Program Interface) solutions for web and intranet applications. You will be a valuable contributor on the team to determine the best solution for data access for each new project.
As a back end developer, you will be critical in helping achieve the goals of the IT Department which include evolving a modern technology infrastructure, fostering a DevOps culture based on cross-training and teamwork, and developing high-quality custom engineered solutions. Work is performed in accordance with general agency policies and professional standards with results subject to review by the Associate Manager, Website Services, with additional input from the IT Director, Database Administrator, Graphic Designers, GIS Analysts, and stakeholders.
- Provide solutions for data access during project planning and development.
- Work closely with Senior Database Application Developer and Front End Developer to bridge the gap from database to front end applications.
- Develop new solutions for data access using best practices and the latest technologies.
- Work with stakeholders and other staff to understand and model data requirements to provide mapping from database schema to application data requests.
- Manage and maintain Windows and Linux servers and software for hosting APIs.
- Provide solutions for server side data analysis and aggregation.
- Tune and monitor performance of server applications using SQL and scripting languages and HTTP requests/responses.
- Debug, troubleshoot, and document new APIs.
- Perform related work as required.
- Experience with developing APIs including data CRUD operations, JSON data structures, versioning, authentication, web services (REST, GraphQL, HTTP), and documentation.
- Experience with enterprise databases (Oracle, MS SQL Server, Postgres, or MySQL).
- Experience with relational database principles: normalization, indexing, advanced queries and joins, triggers, familiarity with procedural scripting (PL/SQL, PL/pgSQL, or Transact-SQL).
- Experience preferred with server and application management (Windows Server, IIS, Ubuntu, Nginx, Node, etc.).
- Experience preferred with web framework development (Drupal, WordPress, or Joomla).
- Experience preferred with version control systems (Git, SVN, Github, or Gitlab).
- Familiarity with NoSQL (Mongo, CouchDB, Memcache, or Redis).
- Familiarity with geospatial querying (PostGIS, ArcGIS, QGIS, Carto, or Mapbox).
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and within a team of diverse skills. Ability to receive and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with DVRPC staff and client groups.
- Oral and written communications skills that allow accurate translation of user requests into web and intranet applications.
Experience & Training
To classify as a Level CS I, a minimum of one year of professional web development or programming experience is required with such education as may have been gained from graduation from a four-year college/university, with major course work in a discipline applicable to web application development or computer science; or an equivalent combination of experience and training.