- Experience Level
Disability Rights New Jersey (DRNJ) seeks a Legal Director to join our team in advancing the human, civil and legal rights of persons with disabilities in New Jersey. DRNJ is a 501©3 and is New Jersey’s designated protection and advocacy system and a member of the National Disability Rights Network.
DRNJ advances the rights of persons with disabilities through individual and systemic advocacy and legal representation, monitoring of developmental centers and psychiatric hospitals, outreach, education and training and policy change. DRNJ conducts the work of its nine federally funded programs through issue teams.
General Job Description
The legal director will serve as part of DRNJ’s leadership team, and will be accountable to the new Executive Director. With new leadership, DRNJ is undergoing transformative change, reorganization, and focus on systems change, complex litigation and policy advocacy. With members of the team, the legal director is responsible for the planning and execution of priorities, goals and objectives in the newly reorganized agency. The legal director will develop, oversee, coordinate and monitor DRNJ’s legal work and advocacy projects in order to bring together the various modalities, including complex litigation, and will mentor, supervise and support the professional development of managing attorneys and supervisors, staff attorneys, advocates and paralegals working within team structures. The legal director will monitor for professional excellence and compliance with all standards for professional practice.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualifications:
- A J.D. degree from an accredited law school.
- Passion and innovation for advancing the rights of persons with disabilities.
- Licensed to practice in NJ or ability to obtain license in one year.
- Seven to 10 years of legal work experience, including complex litigation and at least five years of management experience and direct supervision of legal work.
- Strong and competent leadership and communication skills.
- Ability to mentor and develop legal and advocacy skills in DRNJ staff.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with DRNJ staff in a collegial and non-hierarchical way.
- Experience in the administration and management of a legal services organization or law firm.
- Experience working with persons with disabilities and from multi-ethnic communities.
- Ability to travel throughout the State of NJ.
DRNJ is an equal opportunity employer. People with disabilities, people of color and LGBTQIA+ and others committed to diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
Cover letter, resume, salary requirements and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Email submission is required.