- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
The Executive Assistant provides seamless executive support to the VP of Litigation for Lands, Wildlife & Oceans (LWO), the Sr. Fossil Fuels Attorney, and the Executive Team Manager, reporting to the Executive Team Manager. The Executive Assistant organizes and coordinates meetings, oversees schedules and travel arrangements, manages the LWO and Fossil Fuels department budgets, and provides back up support for the other Executive Assistants and the Executive Leadership Team. The ideal individual will have the ability to be creative, exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. The Executive Assistant must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
This job is located in San Francisco, CA.
Executive Administration (75%):
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the VP of Litigation for Lands, Wildlife & Oceans, the Fossil Fuels Attorney, and the Executive Team Manager, including:
- General scheduling
- Travel arrangements
- Expense reimbursements
- Time entry
- Meeting preparation and scheduling
- Meeting minutes, distributing background materials, and tracking follow-up tasks
- Provide administrative and logistical support, as described above, to VPs and senior staff on an as needed basis.
- Provides back-up support for other Executive Assistants across the organization: Setting up meetings; booking and managing travel plans; and other administrative support needs as required.
- Supports the hiring process for job candidates including screening resumes and scheduling interviews.
- Serve as a budget manager for the VP of Litigation for Lands, Wildlife & Oceans, and the Sr. Staff Attorney for Fossil Fuels, drafting budgets, tracking expenses, and forecasting expenses.
- Approve the time and expenses of the VP of Litigation for Lands, Wildlife & Oceans’ and the Sr. Staff Attorney’s direct reports.
- Set up and revise presentations or spreadsheets, and copyedit documents, as needed.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Executive Leadership Team Support (10%):
- With facilitator(s) and/or the Executive Team Manager, design, plan, and execute logistics for Executive Leadership Team (ELT) retreats including meeting support functions on and off site.
- Coordinate compilation and distribution of written and other materials and other supplies for meetings.
- Determine technical and logistical needs for on and off-site events and ensure they are met.
- With the Executive Team Manager, manage and build out the ELT’s Intranet space including increasing information for transparency and writing posts such as interviews with different members of the ELT and the broader senior leadership.
Project Management (10%):
- Manage and complete special projects as assigned, including research and planning.
- Undertake any other duties or projects that may be reasonably required, and deal with matters arising in a timely and effective manner.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (10%):
- Contributing to building diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant experience and qualifications, such as Certified Administrative Professional® (CAP®), Professional Administrative Certificate of Excellence® (PACE®), Certified Executive Administrative Professional® (CEAP®).
- 5 years or more related work experience.
- Strong calendar management experience managing multiple schedules and calendars.
- Strong knowledge of Office365 (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Exceptional ethical standards, humility, empathy, sense of humor and strong interpersonal skills.
- Direct experience supporting more than one executive staff person strongly preferred.
- Project Management skills/ability to prioritize work and balance several work streams at a time, a plus.
- Demonstrated experience providing executive support for senior staff and maintaining confidentiality is a must.
- Able to self-motivate and self-direct in the completion of complex tasks.
- Successful track record organizing, prioritizing and managing multiple tasks from multiple stakeholders, sometimes under time pressure, with excellent results.
- Able to handle confidential and/or sensitive business and people issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Understands and is adaptable to a dynamic environment with constant change.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to flex style and work with a wide range of individuals and personalities.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude.
- Experience proactively managing complex schedules and planning on and off-site meetings.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Highly resourceful team-player with the ability to be effective independently.
- Embraces relevant technology and actively improves his/her skills through informal and formal training.
- Strong computer skills and experience with MS Windows; Office365 including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel as well as the ability to learn new technologies quickly.
- Experience with non-profit, public interest or legal organizations preferred.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $82,300 - $91,400
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.