- Experience Level
As a member of the Development Department, the Grant Writer is a member of the agency’s administrative team and, as such, may receive direction on occasion from the Executive Director. The Grant Writer will write, edit and format private grant proposals, reports and other funding correspondence, both independently and in collaboration with program and fundraising staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Development Department to ensure that all written materials accurately reflect the agency’s mission, policies, and programs in a compelling manner.
- Support the Contracts and Grants Manager for submission of attachments related to all documents and contracts.
- Responsible for writing appropriate and compelling narrative to be incorporated in proposals, grant applications, letters of inquiry, reports, facts sheets, and other revenue-raising materials.
- Collaborate with members of all departments to gather information needed for proposals and reports.
- Take the lead in finding new foundation prospects.
- Adhere to reporting requirements and submit timely, accurate reports to funders.
- Help manage the grant reporting/deadline calendar.
- Attend meetings set forth by funders to obtain information about the requirements, process, etc. as necessary.
- Develop and demonstrate in depth understanding of agency-wide activities and programs.
- Provide administrative support by filing and organizing hard copy and electronic grant files.
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years relevant experience writing grants and/or proposals.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Able to write and edit clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Able to precise, thorough, and detail oriented.
- Able to gather data, compile information, prepare reports, and meet deadlines consistently.
- Able to manage multiple priorities, tasks, and deadlines simultaneously.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources.
- Knowledge of basic fundraising techniques and strategies.
- Strong knowledge of MS Word and Excel.