Chief Development Officer
- Experience Level
HOPE Atlanta’s mission is to provide a comprehensive approach to address homelessness and provide solutions that promote lifelong stability. Founded in 1900, the organization offers an array of evidence-based “housing first” services, including emergency lodging, permanent supportive housing, case management, street outreach, homeless prevention, veterans housing and employment, special needs (HIV/AIDS) housing, reunification, and rapid re-housing. HOPE Atlanta’s vision is to make homelessness in Atlanta rare, brief and non-recurring.
With a new executive director and board chair installed in late 2018, the organization has energetically taken on the goal to expand its fundraising capabilities so that its mission can impact more Atlantans in need. With a budget of more than $10 million, the organization has had a strong history of governmental and United Way funding (85%) but has been slowly growing other sources of philanthropy (individuals, foundations, corporations). The new Chief Development Officer will work closely with the executive director and board of directors to develop strategies that precipitate more non-governmental giving and then implement them. She/he will bring the vision, drive and creativity to reach ambitious fundraising goals with an eye toward both growing a base of loyal donors and engaging new donors and supporters. He/she will be energized by developing new strategies, processes and relationships, not being afraid to roll up his/her sleeves when necessary but also looking for opportunities to engage a small staff team and volunteers.
- Strategically and operationally lead all HOPE Atlanta fundraising activities, including grant research and administration; individual, corporate, civic, foundation, major, and planned gifts; special events; public relations, marketing and communications; donor database administration; and all direct fundraising and acquisition campaigns related to the Annual Fund.
- Grow/right-size organization’s non-governmental revenues from $650,000 to $1.5 million annually (and beyond!) in a reasonable timeframe.
- Reporting directly to the executive director/CEO, work with staff and board committee to plan, design, create, implement and oversee an ambitious fund development strategic plan to build unrestricted and restricted funding, including cultivating, nurturing and developing donors, with specific and timely annual goals and objectives and tactics for achieving them.
- Ensure existing “Heroes for HOPE” gala continues its strong results, working with contractual and volunteer leaders. Grow other event fundraising, including working with HOPE Atlanta’s Young Professional Board to develop and initiate new events. Expand corporate sponsorships and involvement.
- Manage the administration and solicitation of grants from private, corporate and family foundations, from prospect research to submission of all non-governmental grant and funding proposals. Oversee and ensure timely and accurate reports to funders and monitoring agencies. Increase private grant submissions and awards. Review grant submissions and assist in writing of proposals when needed.
- Design, implement, and evaluate an organization communications and marketing plan to ensure consistent, accurate, compelling and professional brand awareness messaging, marketing and public relations to and with HOPE Atlanta supporters and the community. This includes electronic communications and e-newsletters, social media, annual reports, marketing campaigns, website content, photo/story database, and honing of key messaging.
- Work closely with Deputy Director of Service Delivery to develop a more robust volunteer engagement, management and stewardship program. Set up systems so that volunteers increase their engagement and financial support.
- Ensure moves management processes are in place to move donors toward monthly and major giving opportunities. Review and improve the organization’s direct marketing and acquisition program, ensuring new and existing donors are deepening their involvement with and commitment to the organization.
- Oversee the donor database in Sales Force and improve procedures for data management. Ensure accurate, timely and appropriate recording of gifts and recognition of donors and funding entities. Explore and implement an updated online giving platform for the agency.
- As a member of the senior leadership team, take integral role in organization-wide strategic planning, budget planning, plan execution and reporting. Provide general administrative, management and budgetary oversight for the development and communications team (currently 3 part time employees, 2 contractors and interns) and all departmental functions.
- Represent and speak on behalf of HOPE Atlanta in the community in leadership roles and community committees/meetings as appropriate and required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS and QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree plus five or more years of experience in a non-profit organization, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in fundraising/business development/sales required. Leadership, management and supervisory experience required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills. Experience conducting major gifts strategies preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead diverse agency functions, described above, to take the department to the next fundraising level.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong ethics. Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs required and proficiency with Twitter, Facebook and Instagram preferred. Familiarity with WordPress and Sales Force (or comparable CRM software), is a plus.
- Must be a team player with excellent customer service and interpersonal skills. Must be able to initiate tasks and projects; organize and set priorities; and coordinate multiple tasks with multiple priorities, many of which are time sensitive. Familiarity with services for individuals experiencing homelessness and “housing first” a plus.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. To apply, please send cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume via e-mail to Jeff Smythe, Executive Director at email@example.com. Electronic materials only, please.
HOPE Atlanta is fully focused on equality and believe deeply in diversity of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us unique. HOPE Atlanta is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. This job description/posting in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
More searches like this
- Development / Fundraising Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Event Planning Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Executive / Senior Management Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Marketing / Communications Human Services $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Atlanta