- Willingness to Travel
- up to 25%
Atlanta Center for Self Sufficiency, Inc. (ACSS) empowers financially vulnerable individuals in our community to become self-sufficient, sustainably employed and economic contributors to society. Our programs include CareerWorks, a comprehensive job readiness training and job placement program; Veterans Employment Assistance Program, a targeted initiative aimed at helping homeless veterans re-integrate into the workforce; and CareerWorks Women Venture, a targeted initiative aimed at helping women and families to become self-sufficient.
Job Title: Employment Specialist
FLSA Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Supervisor: Employment Relations Manager
Direct Reports: None
Position Summary: The Employment Specialist supports the agency’s efforts to provide outcome-based services by preparing individuals to seek, obtain, and retain employment. Duties include job readiness training, resume development, job placement and job retention support, and data collection. The Employment Specialist also plays a critical role in recruiting, cultivating, and sustaining relationships with employer partners.
Organization-Wide Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies
- Mission Focused- Carries out the mission by living the values of ACSS.
- Collaborates Cross-Functionally- Works effectively with other departments, sharing information and insights to better the organization while working towards common goals.
- Continuously Transforms- Exhibits a willingness to learn new things and improve the status quo.
- Communicates for Impact- Demonstrates effective communication skills in working with others.
- Takes Pride in Client’s Success- Expresses a willingness to put clients’ success as first priority, taking great pride when clients break the cycle of homelessness.
- Energized by Challenging Situations- Individual not only embraces challenges, but is energized by complex tasks.
- Is a Leader - Influences others to accomplish the mission in ways consistent with the values of ACSS.
- Demonstrates Initiative- Determines what needs to be done and accomplishes these goals and/or objectives with little or no prompting.
Leadership Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Demonstrates Accountability-Takes full responsibility for results and takes ownership of all responsibilities and commitments. Delivers results within prescribed time while taking into account quality standards and impact. Operates in compliance with ACSS policies and procedures.
- Effective Decision Making- Makes informed and timely decisions and takes responsibility for these decisions. Modifies decisions based on new information. Involves others in the decision making process from all levels when necessary to enhance decision-making.
- Commitment to Outcome Measurement- Embraces strong evaluation and reporting processes to demonstrate effectiveness. Identifies ways to refine and improve service delivery.
.Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with businesses/employers to hire program participants, with additional consideration for special subpopulations (especially veterans).
- Coordinate partnerships with training providers in various industries to match participant career paths and in-demand occupations.
- Host an annual job fair and coordinate regular employer on-site recruitment events.
- Provide career counseling to participants to help them make appropriate career decisions and prepare them in terms of job responsibilities, salary and career scope.
- Facilitate various job readiness workshops, including résumé development, workplace ethics, job search and application, and interview skills.
- Assist participants to develop a résumé and cover letter, and submit applicable job applications.
- Provide other job placement support to participants, including maintenance of active job boards, email listservs, and job requisitions in Salesforce.
- Ensure maintenance of accurate program records in accordance with ACSS guidelines and those of our funders.
- Ensure that efforts to recruit, manage, and retain volunteer support are maximized.
- Maintain an understanding of ACSS’ programs, goals, and key issues.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Human Resources, or similar fields (Related experience will be considered).
- Preferred experience in employment services, human resources, talent development, and/or sales.
- Familiarity with labor market trends, as well as local and regional in-demand occupations.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal grant programs and monitoring requirements.
- Experience using Salesforce or similar data system.
- Superior writing (both creative and analytical) and editing skills.
- Ability to represent the organization in a compelling way, in a variety of environments.
Special Requirements: Must have reliable transportation.
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demand: The work is mostly sedentary with periods of light physical activity, and is performed in office surroundings. Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; life and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; and operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing. Subject to work beyond the normal scheduled hours of work; to attend evening meetings and work sessions.
Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
General sign-off: The employee is expected to adhere to all company polices and to act as a role model in the adherence to polices.
ACSS is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.
No phone calls please.