Regional Community Organizer
- Experience Level
Environmental Health Coalition (EHC) is a San Diego/Tijuana non-profit social and environmental justice organization dedicated to empowering people, organizing communities and achieving justice for low-income communities of color. We are an effective, results-oriented organization with a passion for social change. We have been making a difference in the lives of the individuals, families, and communities we serve for almost 40 years
The Regional Organizer works to build an educated, trained and active base of leaders, residents, members, and allies throughout the San Diego/Tijuana region, in areas not considered EHC’s Core Communities. The Regional Organizer serves as the Voter Empowerment/United to Vote Field Manager to coordinate the civic engagement program during election cycles, primarily in EHC’s core communities. The Regional Organizer conducts regional outreach efforts, recruits, trains and foster volunteers and students by reaching out to University and College Organizations and classes, and other clubs and groups in the region. The division of tasks and work schedule will vary based on the campaign needs.
Work with EHC leaders, members, and staff to develop and implement community organizing, training, empowerment, and leadership development strategies - focused on environmental justice issues of climate justice, land use, air pollution, transportation and healthy homes in the San Diego region.
- Build the Base:
- Identify and recruit individuals and families to become active members of EHC via presentations, phone calling, strategic emails, community event participation and other tactics designed to educate and expose potential members throughout the region to EHC issues, tactics and strategies.
- Identify volunteer activities and recruit participants for these opportunities.
- Mobilize EHC members to participate in key EHC events and activities targeted at achieving environmental justice.
- Support EHC’s social media efforts as a tactic to involve EHC’s base in EHC campaigns and efforts.
- Identify and recruit appropriate organizations and communities and facilitate their involvement in EHC work.
- Develop a regional outreach plan to organizations, including college campuses, social justice organizations, networks, political organizations, etc.
- Leadership Development:
- Identify and recruit individuals from outside of EHC’s core communities to participate in the EHC SALTA leadership development programs.
Use SALTA and other Leadership development strategies to help EHC members grow within leadership pipelines to achieve environmental justice. Regional Organizer should use intentional emails, phone calls, texting, etc. to maintain a base of leaders and weavers outside of core communities The organizer will work with Organizing Director, Leadership Development and Organizing Team to develop events, and activities where leaders outside of core communities can participate and get involved. Ex: Community Tours, Forums, etc.
- Voter Empowerment Field Manager:
- During non-election time, collaborate with Voter Team and Organizing Director to maintain current civic engagement information locally, and with local and state allies.
- During election cycles, in conjunction with the EHC Voter Empowerment Team and Organizing Director, the Regional Organizer will coordinate all aspects of Voter Empowerment Campaign.
- Work with Organizing Director to create and coordinate field efforts:
- Create a work plan for regional outreach efforts during the non-election season.
- Create lists (electronic or manual) from PDI database to support follow up efforts with Identified voters for invitations to forums, participation in EHC, etc.
- Support other civic engagement efforts such as Voter Registration, Census work, redistricting efforts, etc.
- Mobilize donors and volunteers to participate in EHC projects and campaigns:
- Recruit volunteers that are outside of core communities to participate in efforts to achieve environmental justice.
- Work with campaign directors to develop opportunities for regional volunteers to participate in EHC Campaigns
- Ensure continued participation through email, texting, phone calls, relationship building, etc. to maintain participation of regional volunteers.
- Conduct trainings or facilitate discussion to prepare members to attend and appropriately participate in hearings, meetings, workshops.
- Work with the Communications Director to create relevant Social Media posts to keep regional members updated and active.
- Create packets for key information for tabling and presentation efforts that will help with volunteer and donor recruitment.
- Work with Fund Development team to develop a fundraising plan with clear goals for donor members from non-core communities.
- Work with Leadership Development and Organizing Director to prepare presentations and activities to inform members about EHC Campaigns and issues. Assure members are properly prepared to participate in supporting allies efforts when called upon.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in grassroots organizing and policy work
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in field campaigns and election work
- Demonstrated experience in managing a field campaign and supervising paid outreach staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of environmental justice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical ability
- Proficient with computer programs including Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel;
- Reliable transportation to enable attendance at meetings throughout the region
- Ability to work flexible hours including some nights and weekends
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, work under pressure, and maintain attention to detail
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Background in environmental justice, land use, climate, and air pollution, or other related fields;
- Familiar with San Diego Political environment and knowledge of these dynamics
- Bilingual (English/Spanish);
- Familiar with San Diego regulatory bodies and state and local government.
- Experience working with local and state government policymakers
Salary Range: $54,600.00 to $65,000.00
EHC offers a competitive benefits package inclusive of:
Excellent Orientation Program Paid Time Off (PTO) Health, Dental, Vision and Chiropractic Insurance Prescription Coverage
- Personal and Medical Leave
- Long Term Care Insurance 401(k) Retirement Plan Personal Development Opportunities
Position Close Date: Open Until Filled
Resume Submission Process:
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to the Environmental Health Coalition at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the above position title into the subject line of your email. No phone calls, please.