BRIDGE Housing, Director of Potrero Hill
- Degree Level
BRIDGE Housing, Director Potrero Hill
1 May 2019
Carlson Beck advises BRIDGE Housing on the basis of an exclusive consulting assignment
The following details are for your information and should be treated with discretion.
The Position: Director, Potrero Hill
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Location: San Francisco, California
BRIDGE Housing strengthens communities by developing, owning and managing high‐quality, affordable homes for working families and seniors. BRIDGE’s portfolio of housing currently consists of 106 properties and 11,700 units throughout California, Washington & Oregon.
Few housing development organizations have achieved the success and stature of BRIDGE Housing Corporation (“BRIDGE”). Founded in 1983 utilizing an anonymous donation, BRIDGE today has become a leading affordable housing development partner.
Affordable Housing Finance has ranked BRIDGE in the Top 50 Affordable Developers every year since 2011.
BRIDGE has shown what can be done with clear vision, the right leadership and a strong base of support. BRIDGE has long been a national model for both production and innovation, bringing smart, sophisticated, comprehensive approaches to building communities. BRIDGE has a unique track record of successful development of transit oriented, mixed-income apartments and mixed-use developments bringing together partnerships to build not only housing but new shopping centers, parks, daycare centers, police and fire facilities, libraries, community spaces and job training centers that fit comfortably into their surroundings and also act as the catalyst for revitalizing and strengthening neighborhoods.
BRIDGE and its affiliates have participated in the development of over 17,000 homes and apartments in more than 50 cities throughout California and the Pacific Northwest. Their goal is to set the standard for affordable housing development by being the very best at what they do.
One of BRIDGE's greatest assets is their team of professionals, who are highly skilled, energetic, motivated, and absolutely committed to the success of every development and the organization as a whole. The BRIDGE team, from the Board of Directors to each staff person, share a passion for quality and possesses the business acumen to get the job done.
BRIDGE is working today not only to expand housing opportunities for thousands of residents in California and the Pacific Northwest but also to produce innovative, multi-dimensional developments that serve and establish communities and neighborhoods in diverse ways. The organization’s core commitment to affordable housing remains steadfast, but its development expertise, creative funding strategies and bold ideas regarding education and training enable the organization to flourish.
For additional information, please see www.bridgehousing.com.
Cynthia Parker, President & CEO of BRIDGE Housing Corporation, joined the organization in 2010. She is the third CEO in the organization’s 35-year history.
BRIDGE has an annual operating budget of approximately $19 million with five offices in California, Oregon and Washington and a staff of approximately 400 people.
BRIDGE owns more than 11,000 units of housing with 7,000 additional units in the pipeline.
BRIDGE Housing strengthens communities by developing, owning and managing high‐quality, affordable homes for working families and seniors. BRIDGE’s portfolio of housing is currently over 100 properties and 10,000 units throughout California, Washington and Oregon.
The Director, Potrero Hill is a high-level Director position responsible for managing a large scale build out of a complex public housing site in San Francisco, CA. The Director will manage and act as "quarterback” for all aspects of the development process at Potrero Hill. This is a role that requires a person who can work at a strategy level, interact well with public agencies, manage staff and roll up their sleeves as necessary to get into the minutia and details.
Due to the status of this project, this means implementing the approved masterplan, ensuring that individual vertical residential phases are managed from preliminary concepts through construction completion; managing relationship with local public agency and development partner; negotiate various development agreement addendums as needed throughout the 10 year build out; establish and maintain relationships with various city and county departments as well as elected politicians; represent BRIDGE at public, political, industry and community events: apply for and ensure funding is secured. The Director will also coordinate with multiple BRIDGE departments including Fund Development; Resident Services; Community Building, Accounting, Property and Asset Management and is responsible for ensuring a smooth transition of the project from development through occupancy and into operations. Some departments will assign dedicated teams to the development itself, including community engagement, and accounting. The Director, Potrero Hill will report to the Executive Vice President, Kimberly McKay, but will also interact with the senior management team, including the CEO.
- Be “the face” of the project to wide range of stakeholders including, BRIDGE Board of Directors, City and County of San Francisco, HUD, funders, lenders, industry leaders, residents, community leaders, grant makers, State of California, and others as appropriate.
- Insure BRIDGE motto of "whatever it takes " is followed to have a successful development
- Work with and involvement in community development visioning for the redevelopment effort.
- Manage interdisciplinary team of architects, engineers, attorneys and other consultants through the process of obtaining required planning and environmental approvals; programming and design of individual components, including infrastructure, residential and community elements of the master plan.
- Strategize and manage outreach programs to build support for the project and ensure continued community and political support and approval of the project. Coordinate BRIDGE’s resources and represent the company at community meetings and municipal and other regulatory board meetings and hearings.
Project Design and Construction/Rehab:
- Manage the design and construction team and design development through construction to ensure a financially feasible and viable development consistent with BRIDGE’s standards.
- Supervise rebranding of development with assistance of communication director as the project moves from predevelopment to infrastructure and build out.
- Create and maintain detailed up-to-date proformas and projections that accurately reflect the project budget and financing plan.
- Identify and coordinate with capital markets group all debt, equity and soft sources of finance to ensure feasibility
- Manage project costs throughout the development process.
- Document loan and partnership terms and obligations.
- Effectively and efficiently manage real estate and finance transactions including site and property acquisitions, construction and permanent loan closings and tax credit equity syndications.
- Oversee and manage Project Manager associated with the project.
- Supervise a Project Administrator Supervise other staff as deemed necessary
- Ensure the highest quality development in every respect in conformance with BRIDGE’s commitment to the long- term physical, financial, operational health and quality of homes for its residents.
QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
Specifically, ideal candidates for this position possess the following career experience/skills/ personal competencies:
- Real estate development experience, with emphasis on Affordable and mixed income housing
- Ideal candidate has taken several developments from conception to completion in the San Francisco market.
- Experience in the development or redevelopment of complex projects such as urban, transportation-oriented, mid/high-rise multi-family housing, mixed-income, mixed-use, and/or service enriched projects.
- Good judgment and deal structuring abilities. Proven affordable housing finance expertise including experience with LIHTC and tax-exempt bond financing and reviewing and modeling financial proformas.
- Experience reviewing and negotiating legal documents.
- Experience with energy efficient, sustainable green building practices.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills. Ability to represent BRIDGE externally, including some public speaking.
- Northern California and specific San Francisco real estate experience preferred.
- Prioritization and organizational skills.
- Strong leadership with ability to manage and inspire both internal and external teams.
- Ability to work independently while also maintaining communication within a large organization.
- Excellent listening, verbal and written skills including an ability to advocate for a project while maintaining positive relationships with stakeholders.
- A sense of humor.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in real estate development or architecture, planning, business or finance.
Education: The successful candidate should have a strong academic background with an MBA or equivalent degree or experience in business, real estate, architecture, planning, or finance.
COMPETENCIES / ATTRIBUTES
The successful professional will have or be:
- Excellent analytical, administrative and organizational skills;
- Accustomed to forward thinking and being proactive – one who sees ahead of the curve
- Experience in working collaboratively across divisions
- Keen understanding of the owner role and function to carry out dual bottom line of social mission and financial viability
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem solving in the field of affordable housing and asset management;
- Enthusiasm and team building spirit, along with the ability and desire to work in a team environment;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Meticulous attention to details;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; and
- The successful candidate will possess the highest standards of ethics and integrity in all of their work.
The annual salary offered will be commensurate with experience and include a full employee benefits
For additional information on this opportunity, please contact: