- Experience Level
Nourish is Hiring an Executive Director!
Nourish Farms is looking for an Executive Director to lead this smart, thriving good-food nonprofit that’s improving the health of Sheboygan County. Nourish is fortunate to have an active board of directors and professional team leading the strategy and implementation. This position is set to succeed as our first executive director has served Nourish and the community well and is ready for a new adventure after six years of service. Below is the job description, along with the features of Nourish and Sheboygan County. Applications are due August. 15
Why Nourish Farms & Sheboygan County?
All-star team: Nourish boasts a highly educated and well-rounded group of professionals whose vast experiences in farming, wellness, nutrition and sustainability provide a resourceful and efficient team to serve the community.
Community connector: Nourish is a young but impactful nonprofit that’s established a high respect among other community leaders and organizations for being collaborative and connected.
Making an impact: Nourish and its staff have been nominated annually the last few years by other community organizations for their impact, collaboration and service to Sheboygan County.
Attention-getter: Nourish, in partnership with Sheboygan Area School District, has attracted several national grants offered to just a few select organizations nationwide.
Small but mighty: Sheboygan is a small town earning big marks as: “the best 20 small cities for business,” the second “most livable city” for retirees, and fifth “best city for millennials to live.”
Future forward: Nourish has been blessed with its first permanent home, a 13-acre farm and historical barn and loft, generously donated by a local entrepreneurial family and community supporter.
The Executive Director works with our Board of Directors and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach. This position is responsible for leading Nourish in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s vision and mission as defined by the Board of Directors. The Executive Director develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization. This position is responsible for the enhancement of Nourish’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations. The Executive Director oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
Nourish Vision: To help create a healthy community through food security.
Nourish Mission: By providing equitable access to hands-on education and connections to local, sustainable food systems, Nourish empowers the community to make wholesome food choices.
Reports to: Nourish Board of Directors
Compensation: Salaried Exempt
Position Description + Qualifications
Board Governance: Works with board to fulfill the organization mission.
- Lead Nourish in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Developing and implement Nourish vision at Miley with Nourish Board of Directors, staff, and community partners.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Nourish, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support Nourish’s mission.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that Nourish can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for implementation of Nourish’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the enhancement of Nourish’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible for effective administration of Nourish operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other contracts made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Planning and operation of annual budget.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the nonprofit.
- Serving as Nourish’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media and the public.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations throughout the state and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance Nourish’s Mission.
- Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the overall visibility of the Nourish throughout the communities it serves.
- Supervise, collaborate with organization staff.
- Strategic planning and implementation.
- Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
- Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
- Review and approve contracts for services.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Proven ability to provide vision and inspiration to team members, develops workable plans, sets expectations, monitors delegated activities and provides recognition for results.
Clearly and persuasively communicates, including public speaking; listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings; write clearly and informatively.
Problem Solving Skills
Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Gather and analyze information skillfully; solicit feedback and use reason when dealing with emotional topics. Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills; seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed.
Work well in a fast-paced environment; empower and treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete administrative tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Training
- Bachelor's degree (Business or related preferred) and five to ten years of direct management experience required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Track record of professional development in leadership or related areas.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning/reporting and budgetary oversight.
- Proven success managing professional staff and providing guidance and support to help them align and achieve their goals within the organizational plan.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong grant writing and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Ability to use data to improve processes and programming.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial and adaptable style.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator able to represent Nourish to internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
- Use of Project Management Systems or other specialty software.
- Use of CRM software for use in managing/organizing donor lists, volunteer work, etc.
- Ability to define problems, collect information, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to travel within territory and work flexible hours. Use of personal vehicle in the course of employment to travel. Significant local travel is required for this position; including visiting local business, Nourish programming, and public events.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
Physical and Time Requirements
- The position requires some evening, weekend, and holiday work to support Nourish programs.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 30-pound maximum.
- This position reports to the Nourish Board of Directors.
- Operations Manager, Program Manager, Educational Farm Coordinator, Farm-to-School Educator, report to the Executive Director.
- Audit and booking, marketing, and fundraising professional services report to the Executive Director.
- This job operates in a professional office environment, kitchens, gardens, farms, schools and community centers.
- Nourish offers a flexible work schedule, paid holidays, and paid-time-off.
More searches like this
- Development / Fundraising Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Sheboygan
- Education / Teaching Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Sheboygan
- Executive / Senior Management Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Sheboygan
- Program / Project Management Education $50,000 - $59,999 Full Time jobs in Sheboygan