- Degree Level
This position is responsible for providing mental health services for Safe & Sound. This position requires a flexible work schedule and may require working in the evening or on weekends. Our programs are aligned with the Center for the Study of Social Policy’s 5 Protective Factors, comprising 1) Parental Resilience, 2) Social Connections, 3) Concrete Support in Times of Need, 4) Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development, and 5) Social and Emotional Competence of Children.
Specific goals of the counseling program are to reduce risk factors and strengthen the following protective factors: Parental Resilience, Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development, and Social and Emotional Competence of Children.
- Maintain a psychotherapy caseload of 12-15 clients, including work with adults, children, couples, parent-child dyads, and families (includes on-site and off-site appointments, including working in a school-based setting and/or home visits). Clinical work will focus on the transgenerational effects of trauma and addiction, implemented within a child abuse prevention model that uses a team-based approach to support the Five Protective Factors in families.
- Education and practice will include interventions based on a variety of theoretical frameworks, including Family Systems, Attachment Theory, Narrative Therapy, Sensorimotor and body-focused treatment, Somatic therapy, Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), Tapping, Mindfulness/Mentalization, Traumatic Memory Processing, and Dialectical Behavior Therapy.
- An ongoing, organization-wide Trauma-Informed Systems (TIS) initiative, as well as a developing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative will also influence the clinical practice. The Bilingual Clinician will have an opportunity to contribute to these initiatives if desired.
- Facilitate and co-facilitate workshops and groups for parents, children, and staff, which may include topics such as Mentalization, Stress Management, Trauma Recovery, and others as needed.
- Attend and participate in the weekly psychotherapy team meeting.
- Attend weekly Service Delivery Team meeting(s). Provide updates on treatment practices and goals pertaining to psychotherapy clients, and participate in discussion on family goals and outcomes supporting the Five Protective Factors.
- Complete Avatar training in order to support and document work with children with Medi Cal/EPSDT (Early & Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment).
- Attend Student Success Team (SST) and Individual Education Plan (IEP) meetings to support clients as needed.
- Cover one 4-hour shift per week, receive incoming calls and follow 4-6 clients weekly, cover 1 diverted overnight shift per month 11pm-8am. Training will be provided by current staff.
- Complete family and individual intakes, as well as conduct crisis management sessions as needed in Parent Drop-In.
- Participate in weekly individual supervision (1-2 hours).
- Attend outside trainings to further develop clinical practice.
- Attend and participate in monthly Friday Department meetings and All Center Staff Meetings
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
- Licensed or license-eligible MSW, MFT, or Psychologist.
- Minimum of 3 years offering direct clinical services (including practicums and internships) to adults, children, and families
- Experience with assessments and clinical formulation
- Knowledge of the effects of child abuse, child development, effective parenting practices, and family dynamics required
- Ability to conduct psychotherapy in Spanish required
- Ability to work with diverse staff and client populations
- Excellent judgment and emotional intelligence, including a track record of employing emotional fortitude, awareness, and skill to navigate, with calmness and confidence, complex and difficult relationships and interactions.
- Ability to record and maintain time-sensitive clinical records
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Previous trauma-informed education/training preferred
- Group facilitation experience preferred
- Position will be reference-checked and fingerprinted.
- Typical Working Conditions:
- Standard office conditions.
- Equipment Used:
- Computer, phone, fax, copier.
- Essential Physical Tasks:
- Occasional travel within the Bay Area for school-based appointments, and home visits.
Safe & Sound is committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive full consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.