Emerge Senior Accountant
- Experience Level
Emerge is changing the face of politics to create an inclusive democracy. We are the nation's premier organization that recruits, trains and provides a powerful network to Democratic women who want to run for office. Since 2002, Emerge has trained more than 4,000 Democratic women to run for office and there are more than 690 Emerge alumnae currently in elected office.
As the national umbrella organization, the role of Emerge is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of government.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with capacity building and sustainable growth.
- Expand our impact by replicating our successes and partnering with organizations across the country.
Emerge is seeking a Senior Accountant to play an integral part in supporting the organization through an exciting period of growth. Currently, the CFO is developing an in-house accounting system (presently outsourced). The ideal candidate is a collaborative self-starter who will be responsible for maintaining all aspects of this new in-house accounting system. Reporting directly to the CFO, the Senior Accountant will contribute to our mission in an essential way by performing the following job duties.
- Oversee the Nexonia Expense module, including verifying receipts, approving reports and syncing with accounting software.
- Track and pay vendor invoices.
- Accounts Receivable
- Coordinate with the development team on syncing the revenue data from fundraising software, NGP (EveryAction), with the accounting software.
- Understand and follow the internal processes on state affiliate invoicing.
- Download payroll paystub data from our Professional Employment
- Organization, JustWorks, and import it into accounting software.
- Invoice state affiliates for payroll taxes.
- Financial Report Preparation
- Perform bank reconciliations.
- Book month-end and year-end closing entries.
- Make departmental and state affiliate allocation adjustments.
- Review transaction detail for accuracy.
- Work with staff from Emerge and state affiliates to gather appropriate source documents for recording, adjusting or reclassification entries.
- Distribute financial reports on a timely basis.
- Training and supervision
- Assist in training Emerge staff, state executive directors and volunteer boards in established internal controls, processes and procedures.
- Assist in timely preparation of IRS Form 8872, IRS Form 990 and internal or external reviews or audits.
- Other responsibilities
- Keep abreast of technical developments in areas of Generally Accepted
- Accounting Principles (GAAP) and financial reporting.
- Systematically upgrade accounting processes to improve efficiency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Emerge is seeking candidates with financial and management accounting experience, ideally in both nonprofit and political settings. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of Emerge’s mission and we are committed to building an organization reflective of the incredible diversity of our Democratic Party. Applications from people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged.
In addition, Emerge is seeking the following specific qualifications:
- Four or more years’ experience in a similar position, or progressively increased responsibility in a position leading to a Senior Accountant position.
- Knowledge of GAAP and accounting skills as demonstrated by growth and success in previous positions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance OR equivalent experience in a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel, and Google Suite.
- Ability to create and maintain friendly and professional relationships with staff, partners and stakeholders that come from a rich mix across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status and backgrounds.
- Understanding and interest in the mission of Emerge.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative and mission-driven environment.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to meet closing deadlines.
- Efficient, accurate, with a close attention to detail.
- Passionate, humble, hold a high degree of integrity, bring a positive attitude and be self-directed and mission-driven.
- Enthusiasm for the advancement of Democratic women in politics;
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of Intacct and Nexonia a plus.
JOB LOCATION AND SCHEDULE
The Senior Accountant will work in the Emerge office from 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend work will be required, with travel up to twice a year. This position is located in Emerge’s San Francisco office.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
$70k-$75k and generous benefits package.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Emerge Senior Accountant Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics. Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.