- Experience Level
Break Away is seeking a passionate and forward-thinking leader to serve as the organization’s next Executive Director. As leader of a national organization with a 28-year history, our next ED will guide an extraordinary team in pursuit of a bold strategic framework by providing vision, direction, and leadership.
The ED will report to and work closely with the Board of Directors, manage a team of four full-time staff, and interact with Break Away’s many passionate stakeholders, member institutions, donors, and peer organizations.
Our next leader will have the opportunity to shape an entire system of civic engagement and community-based learning programs, equipping people and partners across the country to move toward active citizenship.
YOU’LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
strategy + planning
Working with big ideas and the myriad skills necessary to prioritize, pay for, and turn those ideas into programs that serve the organization and our stakeholders:
- Leading a productive and incredibly passionate staff in pursuit of our strategic framework
- Creating a development plan and value proposition
- Partnering effectively with the Board of Directors to assess progress toward our strategic framework - including, setting and measuring annual goals
- Exercising good judgement by focusing staff and resources on the organization’s highest priorities and knowing what can wait
administration + financial management
Leading the smooth and sustainable operations of the organization:
- Ensuring our goals, strategic framework, and budget are aligned
- Providing sound and detail-oriented financial management
- Managing the day-to-day systems and office culture essential to our work
- Leading HR and risk management practices
Developing and managing the people who move our work forward and make Break Away’s brand and culture so unique:
- Hiring, coaching, and providing professional development for staff
- Caring about people, not just process or productivity
- Collaborating effectively with the Board of Directors
- Setting and modeling organizational culture
Stewarding our existing donors and fundraising campaigns while developing a comprehensive plan to cultivate and secure new donors:
- Prioritizing and maximizing ED time in this area
- Substantially growing the organization’s charitable contribution
- Strengthening and scaling fundraising operations and systems to enhance donor cultivation and stewardship
programs + external relations
Serving as an ambassador and inspirational leader internally and externally:
- Knowing our programs - both strengths and challenges - inside and out
- Taking a continuous learning and improvement approach to enhancing our work
- Building rapport with stakeholders from a wide variety of audiences and sectors - college students and administrators, nonprofit and civic leaders, and peer organizations
- Growing Break Away’s visibility and presence as a thought leader
- Deep personal commitment to social justice and active citizenship
- At least three years of leadership experience in a nonprofit or higher education context
- Proven experience as a fundraiser - both planning and implementing fundraising activities, including individual, foundation, and corporate donors
- At least two years of experience managing full-time, paid staff
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization, including budgeting and financial management, HR, and risk management
- An unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
IT’S HELPFUL IF:
- You have worked closely with a Board of Directors or other leadership-level volunteers
- You are an excellent presenter, facilitator, and trainer
- You have more-than-beginner level experience with Salesforce and Quickbooks Online
- You have knowledge and experience with community-engaged learning, alternative break programs, nonprofits, higher ed environments, and the broader volunteer sector
- You’ve built relevant programming from the ground up and implemented it with success
- You bring a sense of humor that is both empowering and kind
YOU’D LOVE WORKING AND LEADING HERE IF:
- You like opportunities to build new relationships and lead bravely into new territories.
- You’re a problem solver at heart, not afraid to try new things, and not a fan of saying “that’s how we’ve always done it.”
- You’re creative and think on your feet.
- You appreciate being part of a small, close-knit team: engaging in dialogue to find creative solutions to organization-wide problems, eating homemade snacks during staff meetings, and sharing the joys and hardships of your work.
- You’re energized by our values - action (engage early and always), education (learn to change), solidarity (get together), transformation (be open to the experience), justice (do things that matter), and revolution (keep moving forward).
- Your life has been transformed through the power of community.
LOCATION: Atlanta, GA. Occasional travel required.
SALARY & BENEFITS: $50,000 - $60,000 - also includes health-care benefits, generous time off, and a flexible work environment
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter to the Executive Director Search Committee at email@example.com. Any questions about the position may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org - no calls please. Desired start is October 2019.