- Experience Level
20,000 Rupees per month plus roundtrip airfare, room and board
The Shanti Bhavan Children's Project is looking for a highly-motivated and passionate individual to fill an opening for the Academic Administrator position to oversee our volunteer teacher program and carry out mentoring, professional development, and curriculum building duties at Shanti Bhavan, our English-medium progressive boarding school in rural India. The Academic Administrator will work with the local Indian and US team in order to support resident volunteers in their teaching duties and build a robust teaching program for the betterment of Shanti Bhavan students.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTION
Shanti Bhavan has been in existence for 21 years and has been profiled in The New York Times, the Charlie Rose Show, Thomas Friedman's The World is Flat, the Discovery Channel,ABC News and Glamour Magazine’s “Get Schooled” series. In 2017, the four part Netflix Original Documentary series, Daughters of Destiny, featured Shanti Bhavan.
Shanti Bhavan serves children of the lowest caste - all of the children in the program hail from socio-economically depressed areas of rural India, mostly from the "Untouchable" or "Dalit" communities. The mission of Shanti Bhavan is to empower children from India’s lowest socioeconomic class to break the cycle of generational poverty through education, leadership, and compassion. They are given a full scholarship, room and board while they attend the school. Shanti Bhavan means “haven of peace” and the school truly is a “haven” for students aging from pre-K-12th grade. They are provided with a world-class education in a safe and nurturing environment.
You can visit www.shantibhavanchildren.org to learn more about the school.
Start Date: August 2019
Must be willing to commit until April 2020, with possibility of extension through September 2020.
Applicants should possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, Master’s in Education preferred.
- Fluency in English.
- Minimum 3 years teaching experience.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to observe and provide feedback to volunteer teachers with a wide variety of teaching experience.
- Exceptional mentorship skills to support volunteer teachers with individualized meetings and goals for growth, both in lesson planning and behavior management
- Capacity to serve as a supportive and professional mentor to children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with local staff, ensuring that teaching practices and curricula are aligned across subjects and grade levels, and consistent with Indian standardized testing requirements.
- Ability to oversee the development of class materials, maintain an archive of past materials, and systematize access to curriculum change over time.
- Comfort in leading weekly professional development sessions to promote a robust and joyful teaching culture.
- Detail-oriented focus
- Flexibility to adapt to changing situations and expectations and relay those adjustments to other team members
- Superior ability to handle stress and set boundaries both personally and professionally
- Ability to maintain a highly motivated, persevering, and achievement-oriented attitude
- Ability to work under minimal supervision while remaining abreast of the vision of the school
- Competency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs and other office software / tools
Please send your cover letter and resume to Karin Yndestad at email@example.com