Director of Education
- Position Type
- Full Time
We are looking for a highly motivated and results oriented professional to fill the role within the organization of Director of Education.
Leading the Education team in executing institutional and educational goals while providing best in class service. Consisting of two direct reports, Manager of Education Programs and Manger of Group Sales and Logistics, and the Interpretative staff, the team is responsible for educational programming and interpretation through school tours and historic house museums. Develop educational and interpretive content, develop and implement regular staff training, and conduct evaluation in coordination with the Guest Experiences department, Vice President of Interpretation and Community Partnerships, and Chief Mission Officer. A strong emphasis is placed on coaching, developing, and assessing direct reports.
- Supervise the Manager of Education Programs and the Manager of Group Sales and Logistics.
- Conduct weekly meetings with direct reports to provide appropriate coaching, development, and assessment.
- Work with direct reports to implement and realize strategic and departmental goals.
- Implement interpretative plan as it relates to educational programs. Work with the team to develop fact based interpretative and educational content through research and in alignment with curriculum and interpretative plan.
- Develop and conduct interpretive staff training assignments, including, but not limited to, historical content and context trainings and interpretive best practices, in coordination with AHC staff, including the Vice President of Interpretation and Community Partnerships, Director of Museum Theatre, and Exhibitions Department.
- Conduct regular evaluation of educational content and methodologies. Adjust content and interpretation based upon review findings
- Conduct weekly hours on school tours and at historic houses.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the historic periods and culture being portrayed and/or conveyed to visitors, as well as principles of education and public history.
- Lead Education team on interpreter evaluations and interpretive assessments; initiate and evaluate review system.
- Provide best in class service to visitors and colleagues.
- Be flexible and adjust to changes in schedule and assignments.
- Work collaboratively with AHC Staff and key departments to understand the institutional objectives and strategies related to AHC mission and other activities.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues, donors, volunteers, senior managers, and trustees, with an emphasis on tact, diplomacy, flexibility, collaboration, professionalism, and discretion.
- Bachelor’s degree in History, Education, Museum Studies or a related field.
- Demonstrated solid background of effective team leadership
- Strong customer service skills
- Demonstrated communication skills including effective oral/speaking skills and writing skills
- Knowledge of Georgia Standards of Excellence, Common Core Standards, and educational and interpretive philosophies
- Be available for interpretative programming, including evening and weekend shifts
Background Check Requirements
- Satisfactory criminal background check required.