Director of Communications
- Experience Level
Alliance for Justice is a national association of more than 130 organizations dedicated to advancing justice and democracy. For 40 years we have been leaders in the fight for a more equitable society on behalf of a broad constituency of environmental, consumer, civil and women’s rights, children’s, senior citizens’ and other groups. Alliance for Justice is premised on the belief that all Americans have the right to secure justice in the courts and to have their voices heard when government makes decisions that affect their lives.
Over the course of four decades our vision has remained steadfast—to protect and expand pathways to justice and the democratic process—while our programs and tactics have been nimble and resilient, evolving with changing times and the needs of our members and the progressive community. AFJ is known for identifying and addressing threats to public interest and civil rights organizations, as well as opportunities they can seize. We pool resources and talents, organize campaigns, mobilize constituencies and drive strategies.
Alliance for Justice/Alliance for Justice Action Campaign is seeking a senior communications professional to lead our communications team. The Director serves as the organization’s senior communications professional, responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies to promote the organizations and their agendas, primarily in the areas of the federal judiciary and nonprofits’ right to engage in advocacy. Working with senior management, the Director will be responsible for crafting and executing the overall messaging for the Justice and Bolder Advocacy teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise communications staff and consultants, and serve as a key member of AFJ/AFJAC’s senior management team;
- Serve as primary writer for the President of AFJ/AFJAC, drafting and/or overseeing the production of speeches, op-eds, talking points, blog posts, press releases and other public statements;
- Lead national communications strategies to engage coalition partners, public officials, Members of Congress, donors and others engaged in ongoing campaigns;
- Work with program staff to create program-specific public education and media plans;
- Develop and maintain annual communications work plans, budgets, and timelines;
- Coordinate communications for AFJ annual fundraising events – NY Gala and DC awards luncheon, and quarterly Salons;
- Review printed materials such as brochures, legal research, press releases, and advocacy reports;
- Supervise the management and redesign of, and content development for, AFJ, BA, and AFJAC websites, social media, digital, and video productions;
- Provide guidance on message, issue framing, and brand consistency for all AFJ and AFJAC campaigns;
- Maximize the effective use of online and social media including e-newsletters, blogs, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter;
- Participate in work to increase AFJ/AFJAC’s racial equity capacities; and
- Support AFJ’s Development Team by drafting reports and providing data for specific grants as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience in journalism, nonprofit communications, public affairs, or related field is required. A background in the law, legal affairs, or nonprofit advocacy is encouraged;
- At least 7-10 years of applicable senior level communications, campaign or related policy experience. Campaign, political/Hill, and/or advocacy communications experience preferred;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills that include experience writing press releases, speeches, op-eds, articles, annual reports, ads, online content;
- Experience building a strategic communications plan that targets multiple stakeholder audiences and leverages traditional, digital, and social media platforms;
- Experience managing a team and directing consultants;
- Strong media networks and relationships;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure with tight deadlines and multiple priorities;
- Campaign and/or Hill experience preferred;
- National communications experience a plus.