Senior Legal Ethics Counsel
5 days left
- Experience Level
The District of Columbia Bar has an immediate opening for a Sr. Legal Ethics Counsel (SLEC). This position provides staff assistance to the Legal Ethics Program (LEP) including the Legal Ethics Committee (LEC) and the Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee (Rules Review Committee). The SLEC provides guidance to members of the Bar about their obligations under the District of Columbia Rules of Professional Conduct. This position reports to the Assistant Director for Legal Ethics, Regulation Counsel (ADLERC).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to high-volume, often complex telephone and e-mail requests for legal ethics advice, including all necessary legal research and consultation with the ADLERC, Senior Legal Ethics Counsel, and/or the LEC Chair. Makes appropriate referrals where legal ethics issues are not presented.
- Serves as staff counsel to the Legal Ethics Committee and Rules of Professional Conduct Review Committee as assigned. Provides substantive staff support to the Rules Review subcommittees as assigned.
- Researches and drafts informal opinion letters and memoranda on questions arising under the D.C. Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Provides staff expertise on legal ethics issues to other Bar committees and programs.
- Develops/reviews materials for and teaches continuing legal education courses on topics related to legal ethics. Participates as panelist offering ethics expertise for internal constituents, the judiciary, law students, and others.
- Periodically writes the “Ask the Experts” monthly feature for The Washington Lawyer. As assigned, writes ethics blogs or columns for D.C. Bar media platforms, and assists in developing other legal ethics content.
- Assists in planning and administering the fiscal, organizational and other administrative duties, to include: preparing operational budgets, drafting reports, managing committee meetings; and recruiting committee members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A J.D. from an accredited ABA law school and seven or more years of experience as a practicing attorney and be an active member of the D.C. Bar.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the D.C. Rules of Professional Conduct and experience in the area of legal ethics strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work well with Bar officials, volunteers, Bar staff, clients, and attorneys.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong analytical skills and problemsolving ability.
- Ability to work well under pressure; ability to set and manage multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in current Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
The SLEC must obtain and submit a certificate of discipline from each jurisdiction where the candidate is admitted. The SLEC may not engage in the private practice of law, although a reasonable period of transition after hire may be approved.
Any outside volunteer activity or employment that involves or may involve a conflict of interest, could interfere with or negatively affect the job performance of the SLEC, or could be a source of embarrassment for the SLEC or the D.C. Bar will not be permitted. Any outside employment must be approved in writing by the Assistant Director, Legal Ethics, Regulation Counsel in coordination with the Director, Human Resources.
Under the Bar’s compensation structure, this position is a grade 5. Salary is commensurate with experience. This is an exempt position. The D.C. Bar has an excellent fringe benefit package.
This is not an attempt to list all essential functions of this position. It is recognized that job duties may change over time.
The District of Columbia Bar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.