- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Conflicts Analyst works closely with firm attorneys and the Director of Litigation Operations & Innovation in connection with the review of new matters to identify and facilitate the resolution of potential conflicts in accordance with General Counsel policy. In particular, the Conflicts Analyst timely processes conflict of interest searches for new legal matters and staff, drafts conflict of interest waiver letters, drafts, distributes, and maintains internal ethical screens, maintains data and conducts quality assurance to facilitate accurate conflict search results and reporting, and timely closes matters. Understanding of legal conflicts, related ethical rules, and current developments is preferred.
Provide conflicts and ethics compliance support
- Review conflict requests and obtain clarity on parties and positions.
- Independently perform conflicts check searches for new matters, contacts, and new potential hires.
- Perform web-based research relating to individuals/organizations.
- Analyze and summarize conflict reports and escalate ethical conflicts and unresolved issues to requesting attorney, Litigation Operations Manager and Deputy General Counsel identify and resolve potential conflicts of interest.
- Coordinate with Litigation Operations Manager and Deputy General Counsel to ensure resolution of identified potential conflicts.
- Document processes and keep records of conversation with attorneys.
- Capture institutional knowledge discovered during conflict resolution.
Administer ProLaw matter-management system
- Liaise with ProLaw users and other administrators to ensure data integrity and to maximize the uses and benefits of the system.
- Maintain employee accounts in ProLaw as well as assign and manage associated security rights.
- Coordinate employee training and answer basic questions and requests.
- Independently conduct quality checks on matters; use independent judgment in determining where errors exist and investigate appropriate sources of information needed to identify and implement corrective measures.
- Create and maintain queries and reports for ProLaw users; work with Earthjustice Database Administrator to create specialized reports for ProLaw users.
- Work independently, with Lit Ops Manager guidance, to keep matter structure organized and ensure database integrity.
- Gather matter-related information from various internal and external sources.
- Perform data analysis and identify possible issues.
- Coordinate data clean-up projects and responses to complex client and matter information requests from a variety of internal customers.
Provide ongoing conflicts and ethics compliance support
- Manage ethical screens, conflicts checks, and litigation holds,
- Track engagement letters, authorization to close matters, and closing letters;
- Coordinate notifications and reminders.
Manage cloud service accounts
- Provide backup administration of user accounts in Westlaw and other cloud based platforms
General Administration and Support
- Develop and manage Legal Compliance Group calendar.
- Update user guides/manuals/intake forms as processes change.
- Manage other administrative, systems and compliance processes as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or higher required.
- 3 or more years of experience working with conflicts and conflicts databases in a law firm setting.
- Strong attention to detail and great organizational skills are also required to be successful in this position.
- Experience with front-end administration of matter and/or conflicts management systems.
- Ability and desire to learn and adapt to new software and systems.
- Values compliance, ethics, and maintenance of information integrity.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a remote team.
- Excellent attention to detail, strong proofreading skills and ability to spot and fix errors.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work amicably with various departments and regional offices, while accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines.
- High quality work standards and ethics.
- Effective multi-tasking skills as well as an ability to quickly analyze problems, resolve them and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- High level of discretion in handling confidential information.
- Must have the ability to accept direction and constructive feedback as well as the ability to take ownership and resolve problems.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary is based on location and experience.
Salary range for San Francisco: $64,400 - $71,600
Salary range for Washington DC: $61,200 - $68,000
Interested candidates should submit the following online via the Jobvite system:
- Cover Letter
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you're having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.