Marketing & PR Manager
- Experience Level
Horizon Theatre Company, a 35-year old, mid-sized contemporary theatre committed to commissioning, development, and production of new work in Atlanta, seeks a full-time Marketing/PR Manager. Qualified candidate will have a minimum of 5 years experience and/or training in marketing, communications, and public relations, and have excellent writing and communication skills. Professional theatre experience highly preferred. Candidate should be flexible and have the ability to organize and execute a multi-faceted marketing campaign. Other qualities/skills sought include: e-mail and social media marketing experience, strong computer experience (Word, Excel, Tessitura, digital design/publishing), video editing, art direction database; a strong interest or background in theatre; salesmanship; interest in creative ways to reach audiences; interest and ability to analyze patron data to drive and track growth. Salary $30K-$40K depending on experience. Not an entry-level position.
Interested candidates should send a letter, resume, 3 references, a writing sample, and salary requirement to email@example.com. No phone calls. Please put MARKETING SEARCH in the subject line. Documents attached should be Word compatible or PDF.
Overview of Duties: Plan, coordinate and direct all of Horizon’s sales, marketing and public relations.
Planning, Leadership, Goals
- Work with executive leadership on planning, coordinating, and directing all of Horizon’s marketing, public relations, sales and audience development.
- Generate audience for Horizon Theatre Company, meeting or exceeding ticket sales goals for each show by promoting and marketing Horizon's plays and programs (including main stage and remount shows, off-night events, education programs, and fundraising events).
- Maintain and increase Horizon's subscriber base through subscription campaigns and regular communication with subscribers through e-mail, mail, phone and other methods.
- Maintain and increase the age and racial diversity of Horizon's audience.
- Maintain high level of audience satisfaction and engagement with Horizon.
- Analyze past sales, advertising and marketing/pr campaigns to determine effectiveness of strategies used and recommend future action.
- Create and manage the calendar for the marketing/PR department, ensuring all deadlines are met by Horizon staff and contractors
- Manage apprentices, interns, volunteers, vendors and part-time staff as needed in executing marketing and public relations tasks. Recruit/hire/train such volunteer and paid staff as needed.
- Manage a board/volunteer audience development and community engagement committee.
Sales, Marketing, Promotions
- Generate marketing/sales/promotion/PR plan for each show and project (after planning with theatre leadership) and for Horizon’s institutional growth with guidance of executive leadership and input from staff and artists.
- Develop and execute strategies to reach specific targeted audiences for each show and program.
- Create and implement weekly (or more frequent) updates to the plan to reach weekly sales goals.
- Manage all relationships with all third party ticket vendors who are marketing partners
- Manage the design, copy writing, printing and distribution of all collateral materials (print and electronic mailers, flyers, posters, ads, playbills, and billboards) in conjunction with the graphic designer and vendors.
- Manage the placement and execution of all print and electronic advertising (paid, pro bono, sponsorship)
- Manage publicity photo and video shoots, securing and supervising needed talent
- Secure group sales and promotions for all Horizon plays, as well as maintain group sales database with current contact information.
- Secure non-profit, business and media partners or other methods to fill houses for Preview performances.
- Create new partnerships with individuals, small businesses, corporations, and foundations that are essential to furthering the Marketing and Development goals of the theatre.
- Maintain an e-marketing program including creation of weekly e-blasts, social media, and web presence for Horizon.
Supervise and maintain updated content on website.
- Create all press releases, calendar listings, news articles and radio/TV announcements
- Secure press and media coverage for all Horizon plays, events, and activities.
- Organize and document all sales, marketing, and public relations activities, including:
- Maintain an electronic archive of all reviews, articles and significant press mentions for the theatre
- Maintain accurate records of contacts made and results for each show.
Coordinate the Community Engagement activities, displays, and volunteers for each production.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Organize and document all Marketing and PR activities.
- Work with the administrative staff to create and maintain customer service policies and procedures.
- Maintaining relationships with press and media, marketing volunteers, community partners and group and organizational leaders.
- Participate in “staff duty” several weekday evenings during the run of each show.
- Serve as a member of the Horizon Theatre Company staff by participating in special events, Opening Night Parties, and PR events.
- Sell tickets when needed.
Complete other duties as assigned.