- Experience Level
We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Communications Coordinator will report to the Senior Vice President for Communications & Marketing, and provide administrative support to the Senior Vice President and to the Communications Department.
- Assist in coordinating press for the Human Rights Campaign
- Assist the SVP of communications and marketing with all administrative duties including answering phones, scheduling meetings, travel and appointments, managing department meetings, reporting expenses and filling out check requests
- Serve as initial point of contact for press inquiries and providing support for media outreach efforts
- Create writings, including press releases, media advisories, talking points, letters to the editor and various other communication priorities
- Draft communication documents that will be used for outside media
- Produce written material whether for the web or other various forms of both external and internal communication needs
- Hire, train, and supervise communications interns
- Coordinate and oversee media monitoring and the clip process
- Maintain lists of media contacts
- Maintain subscriptions to periodicals and periodicals database
- Maintain files and other resources of materials for the Communications Department’s needs
- Maintain contracts and relationships with consultants and external entities providing services to the Communications Department
- Assist in the implementation of the media plan
- Assist with any other assignments and tasks as requested by the Communications Department
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent work experience) with at least one to three years of experience with organizational communications, preferably a Capitol Hill press office
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Possess solid writing skills as well as the communications skills necessary to elicit the right information from a variety of sources
- Analytical and creative skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and manage work under tight deadlines
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and be able to follow closely the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Personal interest in and commitment to LGBTQ equality
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive)
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.