- Experience Level
Native Seeds/SEARCH (NS/S) is a nonprofit seed conservation organization based in Tucson, Arizona. Our mission is to conserve and promote the arid-adapted crop diversity of the Southwest in support of sustainable farming and food security. We support our operations and programs through a combination of memberships and donations, seed and food sales, and foundation grants. NS/S has built a loyal membership base of ~3,500 households and must expand the number of members and donors in order to further advance its mission.
The Development Associate is a new full-time position, designed as an outstanding opportunity for a professional in the early stages of a nonprofit career. The role is designed to accomplish growth as well as help build stronger relationships with existing members in Arizona and beyond. Our full-time staff enjoy excellent health, dental, and vision benefits, and accrue 20 days of PTO each year. This is a salaried position that reports directly to the Executive Director. Come join our team!
NS/S seeks an organized and team-oriented Development Associate who will thrive in a fast-paced environment and who is well-suited to working collaboratively with a small staff. The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of philanthropy and facilitates fundraising activities including membership fulfillment and renewals, donor relations, direct mail appeals, sponsorships and special events. This position will coordinate the activities of a small group of volunteers who assist in the office and at special events. Requires occasional work on weekends and evenings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide substantial support to Executive Director in major donor and foundation cultivation, solicitation and acknowledgement.
- Support the Executive Director in her work with the Board Development Committee.
- Maintain the development calendar and meet all developmentdeadlines.
- Assist in maintaining relationships with members and donors by sending programmatic updates, holiday and birthday wishes, etc.
- Process all gifts (including in-kind goods and services) and prepare thank-you letters and other donor correspondence.
- Continually update and maintain database records.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor hard files.
- Plan and implement membership recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Develop targeted mailing lists; coordinate production and mailing of membership and appeal letters.
- Plan, execute and evaluate 4-6 philanthropy special events each year. Maintain guest lists, track responses, prepare materials and other duties as necessary for special events.
- Assemble donor packets/materials for events and meetings.
- Run monthly fundraising reports and other fund development reports as needed.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Assist in preparing funding proposals as necessary.
- Track proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
- Contribute to newsletter articles and other promotional pieces as necessary.
- Engage with volunteers and interns as appropriate.
- Drive locally on specific assignments; occasional travel outside of greater Tucson, AZ.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized and attentive to details.
- Excels at writing and communicating concisely and effectively. Copyediting skills a plus.
- Ability to work independently, demonstrate initiative, and maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Ability to understand the mission, goals, and values of NS/S, and make decisions that reflect them within the scope of this position.
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Two years’ experience in a development or fundraising position at a nonprofit organization.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and donor management software
- Experience working with and communicating with a wide range of people, including community leaders.
- A valid Arizona driver’s license with a good driving record and valid insurance.
This salaried position is regarded as full time (40 hours per week). Work is usually performed between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday at NS/S headquarters in Tucson, AZ. The position requires occasional weekends and evenings to support special events as well as a small amount of travel within and outside Tucson. Employee work might take them outdoors in both warm and cool weather.
Accepting applications through August 1.
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and three references.