Senior Director: Marketing Communications
- Position Type
- Full Time
Senior Director: Marketing Communications
At the Georgia Center for Nonprofits, our mission is to build thriving communities by helping nonprofits succeed. Every day, we invest in the people and organizations that embody this commitment—transforming Georgia’s communities together through a shared vision of our state’s future. GCN’s programs and projects originate in our community of partners—in the needs of nonprofit leaders on the ground, and the resources of companies and foundations with the vision to meet those needs: developing talent, sharpening strategy, equipping leaders, and building powerful networks of high-performing nonprofits.
We are seeking a purpose driven Strategist/Doer who is excited by the prospect of leading the management of GCN’s brand reputation as a catalyst for transformation of the Nonprofit and social enterprise sector.
This leader plays a key role in advancing GCN’s mission by driving integrated marketing and communication strategies that support our strategic priorities.
Leading a team of staff and contracted professionals the role oversees integrated marketing and communications strategy and planning, communications, and public relations activities for GCN’s main programs: Georgia Gives Day, Work for Good, Nonprofit University, Nonprofit Consulting Group and membership. He/she provides the full range of strategic counsel, including conceptualizing strategies, leading teams to develop action plans, overseeing integrated planning, removing barriers and enabling execution to bring those strategies to fruition. Importantly, we seek a strategic doer – a professional who can execute themselves and also lead teams to execute various aspects of our mar/com activities.
- Provides senior level strategic communication and marketing counsel to mission-related business units to position GCN as a leader and drive engagement.
- Oversees team responsible for the development and execution of integrated marketing and communication plans that ensure multichannel engagement and alignment in support of brand and revenue objectives.
- Utilizes market research and analytics to inform effective strategy and content development and ensure communications are evidence-based, measurable and audience-centric.
- Sets and achieves measurable marketing and communications goals/objectives and ensures that evaluation systems are in place to monitor performance; report progress to leadership; and adjust future plans and tactics as needed.
- Day to day supervision, coaching and mentorship of mar/com staff and contractors to achieve maximum effectiveness.
Marketing & Communications Strategy
- Provides counsel and develops and implements communications strategies for program units, with an emphasis on expanding reach, relevance and impact with external audiences.
- Develops in-depth understanding of program owners’ priorities – informed by interviews with key stakeholders, review of business plans and audit of research/industry insight, etc. – to propose the most effective messaging and positioning for driving business and marketing objectives.
- Support the marketing objectives in all aspects of executing awareness, demand generation and pipeline acceleration tactics. S/he will work with an internal team and vendors to put marketing plans into action.
- Takes active lead in developing the go-to-market strategy for products in the portfolio, including documentation of the unit strategy, sales strategy, and marketing program.
- Execute on the go-to-market marketing program for program lines/products
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work closely with boundary partners, both in Atlanta and in the field, to ensure product marketing efforts are effectively meeting the needs of the business, including but not limited to:
- Work closely with unit leads to identify powerful trends/insights and use those to tell impactful stories to stakeholders
- Work closely with teams to continuously gather market intelligence and feedback on the effectiveness of product marketing materials, trainings, content, and promotions.
Message Development & Quality Control
- Recommends the key topics and categories where messaging and content needs be finalized to communicate effectively with all key audiences and stakeholders.
- Works with program leaders to develop clear and compelling message platforms to inform content development across all marketing and communications channels, for internal and external audiences.
- Proven, excellent communication skills – written and verbal; strong interpersonal skills – and the ability to communicate complex ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Reviews content developed by other team members to ensure adherence to communications strategy for assigned business initiatives.
Tactical Mar/Com Know-How
- Experience with the full spectrum of the creative process, including brand strategy, storytelling, user research, multimedia assets, and design for all platforms from print to digital
- Strong understanding of digital marketing SEO/SEM initiatives including optimizing websites, developing landing pages, leveraging digital and social advertising, and email campaigns.
- Strong working knowledge of Drupal and/or the web design and development process, including strategy, UX, coding, and usability testing
- Advanced knowledge of Mail chimp email platform & automation
- Solid knowledge of Adobe CC software, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign etc. preferred
Formal Knowledge & Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, or a related field. Masters a plus (but we also love brilliant people who didn't go to business school)
- At least 7 years of experience in a marketing/communications-related role, including several years in a management/supervisory capacity.
- Additional formal knowledge and experience that would position this individual as a strategic communications leader for GCN are highly desirable. Such knowledge and experience may include experience in social enterprise, nonprofits or philanthropy; leading marketing or communications in a start up environment, association, political campaign, or growth oriented business.
- Manages complexity
- Strategic mindset
- Action oriented
- Drives results
- Communicates effectively
- Instills trust
- Situational adaptability
- Demonstrates functional and leadership competencies
Compensation, benefits, location:
GCN has an excellent and competitive compensation package including health/medical and retirement, 4 weeks paid leave, and floating personal holidays.
Our offices are in the newly renovated and Leed certified 100 Peachtree building overlooking Woodruff Park and Olympic Park at the centerpoint of downtown’s restaurant and entertainment district. We are 1 block from major Marta stations and within 1 mile of three major highway exits.