Director of Grants Management
- Experience Level
Cal Wellness seeks a Director of Grants Management to lead the work of the grants management team and collaborate with foundation leadership and others to promote and apply best practices for effective, efficient, and knowledgeable grantmaking. The grants management team is responsible for all compliance, analysis, and procedural aspects of grantmaking. Building on the recent implementation of the foundationCONNECT grants management system, the Director will lead the foundation’s efforts to develop and institute innovative data management strategies that will inform and enhance the foundation’s learning and grantmaking. This is a strategic position that will also require the Director to exercise hands-on project management, analytical and problem-solving skills, high attention to detail, creative thinking, and a dedication to the foundation’s mission and core values. This position is located in our Los Angeles office with some travel required to our Oakland office and other meetings/conferences.
Departmental Management: (25%)
- Responsible for the management of all grants management functions at the foundation, including compliance, analysis, and the procedural aspects of grantmaking.
- Develops, streamlines, and enhances grants management policies, procedures, and practices.
- Oversees the foundation’s discretionary and matching gift grantmaking processes.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of all grants-related financial reports to the programs and finance departments to help inform budgeting and planning decisions, as well as organizational reporting requirements.
- Oversees the grants management department budget.
Staff Management: (10%)
- Effectively manages a small team, provides coaching, feedback, and supports professional development of individual team members.
- Builds collaborative, positive working relationships and effective communication channels with and amongst team members.
- Responsible for the development, delivery and accountability of team goals on an annual and ongoing basis.
Data and Systems Management: (30%)
(Note: Data and systems management may actually exceed 30% of the Directors time initially as the grants management database is a recent implementation.)
- Project manages ongoing implementation of, and necessary enhancements to, the recently launched grants management database (foundationCONNECT).
- Manages use of the grants management database, including maintaining administrator settings; and serving as a resource and trainer.
- Develops innovative ways to present data related to the foundation’s goals, strategies and the knowledge achieved from its grantmaking.
- Partners with program staff to develop frameworks and tools with which to manage grant information and data.
Strategic Support & Leadership: (20%)
- Serves as a thought-partner to foundation leadership to develop and implement strategic initiatives that advance the mission of the foundation.
- Leads the foundation’s efforts to further develop and institute an innovative data management strategy to foster learning, communication, and decision making.
- Proactively represents the foundation and its innovative grantmaking in the philanthropic community and provides an important interface with the community.
- Creates a positive and collaborative working relationship with all staff, board members, community members and peers.
- Represents the foundation at regional and national conventions, convenings, and events, including serving on panels participating in forums.
Board/CEO Support: (15%)
- Provides high-level guidance to staff, across departments, throughout the process of developing and contributing grantmaking materials to the quarterly board book.
- Provides support and guidance on board governance activities including addressing conflicts of interest, foreign disclosures, and questions related to board & CEO discretionary grants.
- Works closely with the CEO to support the board and provides the CEO with key advice on data analysis of Cal Wellness grantmaking and trends in the field.
- While there are no specific degree requirements for this position, the selected candidate must possess a combination of skill, experience and education that clearly demonstrates high-level critical thinking, communication and analytical skills.
Experience and Education:
- Minimum of 5-7 years of mid-to-high level grants management experience.
- Experience providing functional management to small team of employees.
- Expert in leading enterprise-wide process improvement initiatives.
- Previous experience in implementation and/or administration of a grants management database.
- Understanding of and experience with implementing and maintaining enterprise ERP, CRM, and/or grants management systems. Experience or high-level of comfort with Salesforce/foundationCONNECT system is a plus.
- Comfortable interacting with and providing service to all levels of the organization, from program staff to CEO/board.
- Superb written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong time management and project management skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment.
- Able to keep focused and navigate periods of organizational change.
The ideal candidate will embody Cal Wellness’ core competencies:
- Live our Core Values: Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Equity, Stewardship, Excellence, Learning, and Trust.
- Drive Towards Innovation: Be bold. Experiment and learn from both successes and failures.
- Make a Difference: Yes, we can. Own our responsibilities and our ability to make positive change.
- Contribute to One Team: We’re in this together. Our success is a collective effort.
- Show Courage: Be thoughtful but act on your convictions. Be open to feedback.
- Periodic travel to our Oakland office and to convenings may be required (10% or less).
THE CALIFORNIA WELLNESS FOUNDATION
The California Wellness Foundation is a private, independent foundation established in 1992 with a mission to protect and improve the health and wellness of the people of California. As one of the largest health-focused foundations in California, with over $900 million in assets, Cal Wellness is a nationally recognized leader for its strategic core operating support for grantees; public policy grantmaking; and a focus on violence as a public health issue. It is Cal Wellness’ desire to promote equity and level the playing field so that everyone has access to good-paying jobs, healthy and safe neighborhoods, and quality health care services. The Foundation’s current Advancing Wellness grantmaking strategy includes three interrelated portfolios: Bridging the Gaps in Access and Quality Care, Promoting Healthy and Safe Neighborhoods and Expanding Education and Employment Pathways. Since its founding, Cal Wellness has awarded nearly 9,000 grants totaling more than $1 billion.
In 2017, Cal Wellness celebrated its 25th anniversary. As the Foundation looks to the future, it is pursuing new and innovative strategies beyond its core grantmaking to advance its mission, including implementation of new technology systems, development of its public affairs capacity and establishing mission- and program-related investment portfolios.
Cal Wellness has a diverse staff and Board and continues to enhance its deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, both internally and externally. The Foundation’s work underscores a belief that wellness requires social justice, a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, and sustained efforts to eliminate systemic barriers that prevent access to health care, education, employment and safety.
Please visit calwellness.org for more information.
For this position, the selected candidates starting salary may range from $122,000 to $153,000 per year, commensurate with skills and experience. Highlights from our benefit package include: a variety of health plans, a generous 401(k) retirement savings plan, paid time off, professional development and educational opportunities, matching gifts, and the opportunity to work at a mission and values driven organization.
Applications will be accepted from June 27, 2019 through July 26, 2019. Please upload your resume and letter of interest by July 26th!
The California Wellness Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool.
The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed and is not intended to limit the scope of potential work assignments. This is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and duties may differ from those as outlined above.
More searches like this
- Program / Project Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Research Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles
- Technology / Data Management Philanthropy / Social Responsibility $100,000 & up Full Time jobs in Los Angeles