National Legal Director
- Degree Level
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is seeking a full-time National Legal Director. This position is an excellent opportunity for organizers with legal training interested in new models of policy and organizing at the intersection of racial, economic, and environmental justice. The overall program seeks to transform how global companies receiving public support create good jobs and community benefits in the U.S. The target starting date is September 1, 2019, or as soon thereafter as possible.
The Legal Director will be supervised by JMA’s Executive Director and will delve deeply into state and federal law to help JMA’s campaign teams in Alabama, Mississippi, California, Illinois, New York, and New Jersey win powerful policies to create high-road American jobs, support worker and community organizing, remedy historical hiring inequities, and strengthen American manufacturing. The job will also include a range of different types of outreach to public officials, the labor and social justice communities, and with other allied groups around the country. The position will be based in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles or Birmingham, Alabama where JMA’s four offices are located. There is a slight preference for candidates willing to locate in Chicago.
About Jobs to Move America:
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is a national organization working to ensure that public investment in manufactured equipment and infrastructure supports quality American jobs, and generates career opportunities for historically underrepresented workers in the industry, as well as those facing barriers to employment. Jobs to Move America also negotiates Community Benefits Agreements with high road manufacturing employers in the U.S. to ensure equity and opportunity for all workers.
● Developing and leading JMA’s expertise on the legal and political considerations around labor, public records act, and public procurement policies and laws
● Coordinating with cities, states and other public agencies that collaborate with JMA to help expand the practice of policies that leverage community benefits from public purchasing & economic development spending
● Move campaign messages effectively across media, especially when legal issues are involved.
● Develop and produce educational materials for JMA allies and agency partners
● Support the policy work of JMA’s teams in CA, IL, AL, NY and New Jersey
● Conducting outreach to legal experts to build a JMA Legal Advisory Committee
Required qualifications and experience:
● A minimum of seven years of experience in legal advocacy and/or policy work, preferably in labor, civic engagement, environmental and/or gender and racial justice.
● Demonstrated commitment to advancing the interests of people of color, women, and/or formerly incarcerated people at America's workplaces.
● Ability to communicate effectively with a wide array of constituencies including elected officials, agency staff, and members of the public.
● Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment.
● Legal training (bar membership in any state is acceptable); applicants with a law school education and the required experience in labor and/or community organizing and research will be considered
● Strong writing skills (selected applicants will be asked to take part in a writing exercise)
● A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles.
● Have experience working in the labor movement.
● Are fluent speaking a language other than English
● Experience working with/for government agencies and/or elected officials
Extra consideration will be given for candidates who:
● Identify as persons of color, women, or formerly incarcerated persons and/or have had experience working with more than one of those groups
The salary range for this position is $72,000 - $83,000, depending on experience and location. Director level staff working in New York and Los Angeles will receive a small cost of living adjustment that will lead to the higher part of the range. Salaries are based on an established range and are not negotiable. JMA offers full family health and dental benefits at no premium cost to the employee, 401k plan, generous time off, cell-phone reimbursement, and work-related mileage reimbursement or transit pass reimbursement. JMA aims to provide a supportive and energizing work environment that encourages teamwork and recognizes high-quality achievement.
Application Process This job is available starting September 1, 2019. Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Legal Director” in the subject line; please also indicate where you learned about this job opportunity. Only applicants who are chosen to move forward in the selection process will receive a response. No phone calls, please.
JMA is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Government $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Development / Fundraising Government $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Legal Government $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Program / Project Management Government $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Public Policy / Administration Government $70,000 - $99,999 Full Time jobs in Chicago