Communications Manager/Director (DOE)
- Experience Level
CPEHN is seeking a full-time Communications Manager or Director, DOE, based in Oakland or Sacramento to lead efforts to create and implement our organizational strategic communications plan. The Manager/Director will work with all staff to increase organizational visibility, promote our policy agenda, and develop media relationships. The Manager/Director will also seek to produce high quality publications, web content, social media messages and campaigns, and other external communications materials. The Manager/Director will assist CPEHN staff to strategically communicate with our constituents about our work.
External and Digital Communications
- Develop and implement CPEHN’s communications strategic plan, calendar, and protocols for written, digital, social media, and other strategic communications tools and resources to grow, sustain and monitor CPEHN’s visibility as a health equity leader.
- Work with CPEHN staff to identify communications goals and strategies to better connect with CPEHN’s diverse stakeholders and community partners in primary, oral and behavioral health, and prevention, at the local, regional and state levels.
- Lead CPEHN’s media strategies including monitoring health equity focused news, drafting and submitting letters to the editor and opinion pieces, developing relationships with reporters, and assisting in developing and pitching news stories.
- Manage websites and communications strategies for CPEHN’s coalitions and networks including Having Our Say and the CA OPEN network, and the California Reducing Disparities Project. Staff work groups or committees of the networks or coalitions as they pertain to communications.
- Refine and update key performance indicators on communications strategies. Collect, analyze and develop recommendations for increasing communications’ goals and objectives.
- Work with staff and graphic design consultants to develop content that informs, inspires, and activates target constituencies.
- Collaborate with CPEHN staff to create targeted external communications designed to inform and influence decision-makers and the public about CPEHN priorities and boost program awareness, recruitment, and support.
- Manage and coordinate the creation and dissemination of CPEHN's quarterly newsletter and draft content as needed.
- Develop talking points and collateral materials for fundraising solicitations.
- Work with appropriate staff members to contribute to grant proposals and progress reports for CPEHN’s funders.
- Work with staff to develop strategies to communicate with perspective donors and strengthen relationships with CPEHN’s existing donors.
Brand Stewardship and Publications
- Ensure that CPEHN’s printed materials, publications, web content and other external communications maintain high quality standards.
- Develop informational material based on original or secondary research, such as policy or issue briefs, to inform and educate CPEHN constituents and stakeholders.
- Assist in onboarding and training staff and board on brand talking points and messages.
- Coordinate with CPEHN staff on outreach materials and strategies for regular CPEHN activities including regional convenings, briefings, and conferences.
- Report to Executive Director on a regular basis through scheduled supervision meetings and participate in staff meetings.
- Support a staff communications team by coordinating meetings, providing training and coaching opportunities, and effectively engaging staff in communications activities.
- Coordinate special projects, assignments, and activities, and other duties as assigned.
Education and training: Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience required. Masters or advanced degree in public health, public policy, or communications preferred.
- Work Experience: At least 3 years of experience working in a communication related position, preferably at a nonprofit or community based organization. At least 1 year of experience working with communities of color.
- Bilingual in Spanish or another non-English language preferred.
- Documented skills and successful experience writing and editing publications, newsletters, and related communication materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Strong attention to detail and technical accuracy.
- Proven ability to prioritize multiple assignments and meet conflicting deadlines within a dynamic environment.
- Advanced verbal and written skills to articulate ideas and issues concisely and persuasively, using appropriate editorial style and English grammar.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively in analyzing complex situations and produce clear communications to address them.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively and professionally with diverse constituencies inside and outside the organization.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of, or the ability to learn, CPEHN’s mission, policy priorities and community engagement approaches.
- Advanced knowledge and capacity in Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Creative suite and other key publishing programs.
- $65,000 – $75,000 (DOE). Excellent benefits (100% employer paid health and dental insurance, retirement plan contributions, sabbatical leave, and more).
- Submit your application in PDF document including a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample (no longer than 5 pages) to: email@example.com, subject: Communications Manager/Director application.
- Position open until filled.
CPEHN is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. Bilingual individuals are encouraged to apply.