Editorial and Publishing Manager
- Degree Level
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is a non-profit membership organization that serves the needs of tree care professionals, and promotes the profession of arboriculture around the world. ISA is known as the industry authority on research, education and professional development. Each role in the organization plays an important part in delivering excellent member benefits and customer service. The Editorial and Publishing Manager is responsible for management of editorial and production phases of ISA publications and other educational materials with an emphasis on the use of cutting edge technology in design, delivery and distribution methods.
The Editorial and Publishing Manager is responsible for creating a strong network of authors, contributors and subject matter experts internationally to support the integrity of our peer reviewed publications at the highest level. They will provide leadership and coaching to support the success of the team, as well as the growth and development of the individuals in this reporting structure.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands ISA’s Mission and adheres to organization and staff core values
- Manage editorial development and production of ISA’s serial publications with an emphasis on increasing readership and distribution:
- Arborist News – bimonthly trade periodical for arborists, researchers, urban foresters, and others in the tree care industry, distributed in print and available digitally to approximately 20,000 ISA members globally
- Arboriculture and Urban Forestry – bimonthly scientific journal distributed in print and available digitally to approximately 5,000 ISA members globally
- Serve as central contact with internal and external stakeholder on all aspects of ISA publications to ensure efficient and transparent communication. Internal contacts may potentially include all other ancillary departments within the organization. External contacts may include: authors, key opinion leaders, scientific congresses and journals, vendors, and others industry experts.
- Acts as authors’ editor, design director, and oversees the production process—from manuscript development and review, through image selection, design, and layout, to print and delivery— for book projects and other educational materials including, but not limited to:
- ISA’s Best Management Practices series, developed to accompany industry standards
- Reference books
- Study guides and workbooks
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with the research community, practitioners, and staff to develop network of contributors to ISA publications and educational materials. Leverages these relationships to generate relevant, innovative content that is both mission focused and of interest to our members.
- Develops project budgets and manages resources to deliver outcomes within budgetary parameters, while anticipating challenges and adjusting sustainable timelines and the allocation of resources accordingly.
- Develops and manages publication production schedules.
- Analyzes article content needs for serial publications
- Contacts authors to solicit feature articles and discuss writing parameters
- Evaluates writing quality and provides editorial assistance
- Manages peer review process
- Interfaces and establishes positive relationships with international translation team leaders to manage translation of ISA publications.
- Oversees the conversion of ISA’s print content to electronic publishing products in the latest eBook formats or other electronic delivery mechanisms appropriate for the targeted audience.
- Collaborates with the Director of EPS to determine which products are appropriate to repurpose in other mediums of eLearning and/or training.
- Manages outsourced contracts and vendor relationships as they relate to editorial, design, and production duties.
- When appropriate, write and/or edit articles for various ISA publications.
- Stays current with the latest best practices and cutting edge technology for publishing.
- Other duties as assigned.
Yes; directly supervises one employee.
Management responsibilities include: interviewing, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; regular project and team meetings; evaluating performance; resolving conflict and promoting positive employee relations in a collaborative work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year accredited college or university preferred; may consider an equivalent combination of education and job experience.
- Minimum of 5 years related job experience with increasing levels of responsibility.
- Previous experience leading a publishing team using cutting edge technology.
- Previous experience with scientific journals and the use of a peer review process.
- Project management abilities and experience, including developing and managing project budgets.
- Proven ability to perform high-quality, medium-to-heavy copyediting.
- Technical proficiency in the production processes involved with publishing books, serial publications, and other educational materials.
- Strong ability to communicate in written and spoken English on a professional level.
- Strong editorial skills; mastery of grammar, spelling, and editorial conventions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with industry professionals and volunteers, as well as co-workers within the organization.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from customers/readers, authors, regulatory agencies, and members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
Decision Making/Reasoning Ability
- Demonstrated ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, develop conclusions, and determine appropriate action plans.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems with tact and diplomacy.
- Completes projects accurately and completely within deadlines.
- Able to work independently to complete projects, with little to no day-to-day supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize projects with impeccable attention to detail.
- Ability to develop, prepare, and understand budgets.
- Ability to calculate return on investment(ROI), percentages, costs per unit.
- Ability to extrapolate to determine projections for budgeting purposes.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external customers.
- This position requires occasional lifting, up to 25 lbs.
- Requires occasional travel.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Technology and Equipment
- Fundamental understanding of Web publishing and with Web-related computer applications required.
- Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2007 and/or 2010; proficient in Word and Outlook.
- The position also requires advanced computer skills and proficiency in graphic design, word processing, and desktop publishing software.
ISA is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Downtown Atlanta, GA.
More searches like this
- Education / Teaching Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Marketing / Communications Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Program / Project Management Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Public Policy / Administration Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Research Science / Technology Full Time jobs in Atlanta