Accounts Payable and Payroll Manager
- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups and supporters to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Miami, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
This position manages the daily operations of the Account Payable function to ensure timely and accurate processing of vendor bills, as well as oversees the payroll function ensure processes are executed appropriately and timely. This position acts as an escalation point of contact and subject matter expert for the disbursements functions of the organization, as well as recommends revised accounts payable and payroll procedures and policies to senior management, as necessary.
Accounts Payable (30%):
- Manages Accounts Payable (AP) staff, ensuring adequate staffing and resources to handle workloads. Ensures payments and voids are properly recorded and reconciled. Reviews weekly invoice batches scheduled for payments for accurate coding and adherence to policy
- Responsible for preparing monthly close schedules and accrual estimates, as well as AP related year-end schedules for the audited financial statements
- Performs ongoing risk analysis of regional disbursement locations and makes recommendations for additional support, training, or staffing at the local levels.
- Functions as a key team member for system upgrades and implementation projects related to Netsuite and Concur
- Responsible for developing a streamline ACH payment process, and serves as the banking contact for disbursement related issues
Payroll and Employee Benefits (30%):
- Manages Payroll staff and the bimonthly payroll process, assists with special payroll inputs, escalations, and payroll reconciliations. Provides backup support to the Accounts Payable and Payroll Staff positions through ongoing review of the payroll processing function, recommending process improvements and standards. Fully capable of independently transmitting a full payroll cycle
- Ensures accuracy of payroll reconciliations and the preparation of the monthly general ledger journal entry, and other payroll reports as well as the year-end payroll schedules and related reports
- Serves as a strong partner with Human Resources, to ensure that all processing of payroll data is completed accurately and on a timely basis. Makes recommendations for improvements, and maintains a current cross-departmental payroll calendar
- Reviews each payroll and employee reimbursements and validates each unusual pay event for accuracy (i.e. bonuses and terminations) before batch submission
- Oversees the processing and accounting for the 403(b) and 457 retirement plans. On an ongoing basis will monitor participants for changes in eligibility in line with the plan document, perform monthly checks for accurate payroll withholdings, and will perform an annual analysis and true-up of the employer match. Prepares census files and supporting schedules for the 5500 pension audit, workers’ compensation audit, and financial statement audit. Organizes the biannual retirement presentations from the Third Party Administrator (TPA) and works proactively to identify staff concerns and potential opportunities for further training topics related to retirement planning.
Internal Controls and Department Planning (20%):
- Maintain professional and technical expertise by reviewing publications and staying current with industry principles and practices.
- Under the guidance of the Controller, designs and maintains sound systems of internal controls over Accounts Payable and Payroll transactions, and helps to build a robust internal controls matrix for a rapidly growing organization
- Anticipates needs, evaluates alternatives, makes recommendations, develops procedures and training relating to Payroll and Accounting system conversions, and modifications. Provides content and updates to the department's intranet website on policies, procedures and contact information.
- Confers with the Controller in setting team goals. Provides general and technical guidance and feedback to staff: prepares and conducts performance reviews; makes salary, hiring and promotion recommendations; assigns work and establishes priorities, insures staff training, development and enhancement of employee skills; works with staff to streamline work flow and eliminate redundancies.
- Contributes to the department plan and help the department deliver on its commitment for an inclusive and equitable work environment. Helps develop and coach staff on their individual work plans on inclusion and equity.
Audit & Compliance (10%):
- Maintain compliance and files related reports for Property Taxes, Payroll Registration, Workers Compensation, Census and local city reporting.
- Stay current with respect to regulatory reporting requirements and related tax regulations. Assist team in reinforcing adherence to organizational policies and procedures.
- Responsible for annual 5500 pension audit and the annual workers’ comp audit, as well as responding to inquiries from auditors and government agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll experience including the supervision of staff.
- Payroll certification and/or CPA, MPA, CMA preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), relevant IRS Codes, and other regulations related to tax compliance and reporting for payroll and retirement plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current payroll standards, federal and state regulations, as well as experience in payroll processing and employee benefits.
- Highly competent with web-based payroll and accounting systems, preferably ADP Workforce Now, Netsuite, and Concur; strong Excel skills and ability to quickly navigate data sets from multiple systems to identify errors or missing data.
- Strong knowledge of internal controls best practices and designing COSO aligned workflows.
- Ability to effectively communicate and positively interact with people both internal and external to the organization.
- Able to work and think independently, keep information confidential, work in a highly organized, efficient, and detail-oriented manner.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Oversee two AP/Payroll staff members
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover Letter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.