Director of Development
- Experience Level
Director of Development
Safe Harbor Children’s Center
Situated amid stately live oaks in Brunswick, the city center of the beautiful Golden Isles region of Georgia, Safe Harbor Children’s Center is a home for children in need of a safe, loving environment – a place where they are treated like family. Known as the local safe haven for desperate, helpless children who have nowhere else to turn, Safe Harbor is a welcoming sanctuary where children and older youth can escape abuse, torment and neglect.
Since its founding in 1991, Safe Harbor has served thousands of children in desperate situations and built a superb reputation in the community. It has created seven distinct programs to serve their needs—including long-term residential shelter, runaway and homeless youth shelter, outreach to teens living on the streets, family preservation, children’s advocacy, rape crisis services and transitional living.
Following a $5 million capital campaign in 2015, Safe Harbor completed construction of the Windolf Residence, a state-of-the-art group home that can accommodate up to 24 children at a time. Now the organization seeks to use the campaign’s success as a launchpad for building a more robust annual and major gift fundraising program. For more information about Safe Harbor, visit their website at SafeHarborCenterInc.org.
The Director of Development is a full-time position that will be accountable to the Executive Officer. The Development Director will support the goals and objectives of Safe Harbor Children’s Center through visionary and strategic leadership in the areas of and donor management, fund development and marketing. This position will be responsible for developing and implementing plans, creating processes and recruiting the people needed to ensure success in each area. This is a solo development shop right now, so versatility and a can-do attitude will be necessary for the successful candidate.
- Develop, implement and evaluate an annual comprehensive fundraising strategy.
- Solicit individual, foundation and corporate donors.
- Nurture relationships with donors and potential donors through visits, facility tours and updates on programming to promote deeper engagement in the organization.
- Create a signature special event.
- Foster positive connections through effective community relations, building bridges with strategic business, service, media and partner organizations.
- Coordinate organizational marketing efforts, including print and social media activities.
- Occasional travel required.
Professional Qualifications & Personal Characteristics
- Passion for the mission of Safe Harbor and commitment to providing the resources necessary to care for abused, abandoned, neglected and homeless children and youth.
- History of successful fundraising in annual giving, special events, grant writing, and major gifts.
- Highly motivated and able to work without close supervision, but willing to accept direction and guidance from the Executive Director.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing processes and procedures for a high-functioning development program.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to attract people to the organization, including the ability to network and partner with a broad and diverse representation of the community.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Collaborative team player who values open communication and two-way sharing with colleagues.
- Understanding of donor database management. Blackbaud E-Tapestry is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Vacation policy and health insurance plan are competitive with sector norms.
Safe Harbor Children’s Center provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants. Their treatment of all employees and applicants shall be without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age or handicap in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment except as provided by law.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to Steven Byers, The Moran Company. APPLY NOW