Director of Resource Development
- Experience Level
SOMOS Mayfair was created in 1997 as a place-based, community-led initiative to fight the debilitating effects of poverty in the Mayfair neighborhood of east San Jose. The mission of SOMOS Mayfair is to support children, organize families and connect neighbors to uplift the dreams, power and leadership of community and address systemic inequities.
SOMOS Mayfair implements a nationally-recognized, programmatic strategy centered on the leadership development of community residents (parents, neighbors and youth). Our programmatic strategy, titled En Nuestras Manos/In Our Hands: a community power building campaign, is an experiment in community development that is designed to address community-identified issues by making the neighborhood residents the primary agents of change. The strategy builds a new form of power in our community; one that derives power from building alternative, grassroots systems of mutual aid between neighborhood families. Families engage and build relationships within our Family Resource Centers; children access opportunities that support school success; neighbors come together to analyze systemic root causes; and together, multi-generational families vision, co-create, lead programs and organize, all to advance a thriving and vibrant neighborhood.
Director of Resource Development Position
The Director of Resource Development (DRD) is a member of the agency’s Executive Team alongside the Executive Director, Associate Director, the Director of Programs and the Director of Finance and Operations. The DRD will directly lead the strategic direction of a comprehensive, relationship-centered fund development program.
The Resource Development Department works collaboratively to secure an annual budget of approximately $3.5M, while also working to build organizational stability through an operating reserve. This position will oversee a team comprised of: (1FTE) Grants and Evaluation Manager; (1FTE) Marketing and Communications Associate, and when necessary, event contractors, summer interns, and volunteers. The DRD will also support the Board of Directors, alongside the Executive Director, especially the Fund Development and Gracias a la Vida Committees, in setting and managing the Board fundraising strategies.
The ideal candidate must be able to operationalize fund development strategies, lead teams to implementation, be detail oriented and communicate with internal and external stakeholders. S/he will maintain a standard of excellence in supervising and evaluating fund development activities.
The DRD cultivates and stewards trusted relationships with key supporters (individual donors, philanthropy, and government institutions), community-partners and the media. This position will be charged with planning, implementing and managing a comprehensive resource development and evaluation strategy that includes institutional giving (foundations, corporations and government); fee for service contracts, special events, major individual donors, grassroots fundraising, and organizational story-telling, marketing, branding and communications. The DRD is required to achieve annual income goals, while also planning 3-5 years out. The DRD will also serve as an active representative of SOMOS in the community, region and beyond.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Fundraising Strategy Development
- Develop and execute SOMOS Mayfair’s fund development strategic direction, through annual fundraising plans and strategic growth projections for 3 years and beyond.
- Cultivate trusted relationships that yield financial support from individuals, philanthropy and government entities.
- Integrate and innovative, culturally-relevant, grassroots fundraising strategies into SOMOS Mayfair’s development plan.
- Oversee, engage and support the Grants and Evaluation Manager in full grant processes: prospect research, cultivation, proposal development and writing, evaluation, data management, reporting and monitoring and stewardship.
- Generate Resource Development reports and communications for a variety of stakeholders including: Executive Director, the SOMOS Mayfair Board of Directors, Management Team and staff, SOMOS Mayfair’s partner agencies, general community and funders
- Provide senior management-level leadership in SOMOS Mayfair’s program and organizational planning processes, both short and long-term
2. Communications Strategy Development
- Craft, inform and uplift the organizational narrative for internal and external communications.
- Oversee, engage and support the Marketing and Communications Associate in leading SOMOS Mayfair’s internal and external communications strategy, utilizing story-telling, and marketing and public relations techniques.
- Cultivate trusted relationships with reporters, media entities and public officials.
3. External Relationships & Regional Advocacy
- Serve as SOMOS’ lead contact with government, philanthropic and major donors.
- Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with the Si Se Puede Collective (core neighborhood partners) to actively lead collaborative funding strategies and proposals. SOMOS Mayfair is the backbone organization to the Collective and as such, takes a leadership role in fundraising with and for the Collective, securing investments for the broader neighborhood.
- Connect and engage with prospective SOMOS Fuertes (fee-for-service) clients to generate far-reaching partnerships and new lines of revenue.
4. Talent Management
- Develop and supervise a unified and effective team of Resource Development employees, interns, volunteers and contractors (as needed). Critical measures of success include:
- Development of a team approach to Resource Development strategies, where everyone owns his/her leadership, role and tasks, while being a supportive team member.
- Development of the critical skills in staff necessary for culturally competent fundraising in working poor, immigrant communities.
- Integration of traditional and innovative, grassroots fundraising strategies into SOMOS Mayfair’s Resource Development work.
- Delivery of measurable annual and multi-year Resource Development goals.
- Recruit and retain a diverse staff, interns and volunteers that have wide skill sets, represented ethnicity and gender diversity to be consistent with the community served.
- Identify and implement training of SOMOS staff in components of Resource Development.
- Ensure that job descriptions are current, regular performance evaluations are completed in a timely matter, proper recognition and disciplinary actions are taken, and when necessary, termination procedures are properly followed.
5. Strategic Executive Leadership
- Work regularly with and in support of the Executive Director, Associate Director as a thought partner regarding the Resource Development vision, strategies, work plans and emerging issues.
- Partner with the Executive Director and Board Members to identify, develop and execute fundraising opportunities.
- Provide information and recommendations to the Executive Director for consideration by the SOMOS Mayfair Board of Directors.
- Support Board of Directors’ understanding of, and leadership and engagement in fundraising components of our work.
- Develop and lead the strategy to ensure the active Board development and participation in fundraising strategies.
- Senior level management staff contributions; strategy, budgeting and evaluation.
6. Professional Development
- Engage is SOMOS’ Universidad Popular de Mayfair (Popular University) to strengthen interpersonal and professional skills and deepen root cause analyses on social justice issues.
- Keep abreast of best practices in resource development, grant proposal development & stewardship; grassroots fundraising; and business models; share learnings with SOMOS Mayfair Board, employees and volunteers.
- Create an annual plan to develop or strengthen essential skills critical to the DRD’s own professional success, as well as that of the Resource Development team.
- Deep passion and commitment to advancing social justice in immigrant, working class communities.
- Demonstrated track record of planning and achieving organizational fundraising goals and future growth.
- Experience and expertise in institutional (specifically private foundation and corporate) giving.
- Commitment to cultivating and maintaining authentic relationship-building
- A minimum of five years at a management level position in resource development.
- Experience in individual donor development, board member and volunteer engagement
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate with a broad audience. Visual communication skills are a plus.
- Strong project management skills; organized, detail oriented.
- Understands contact management/donor data management systems (i.e. Salesforce).
- Commitment to nurturing healthy working relationships and communication.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in any discipline.
- Valid California driver’s license and proof of auto insurance required.
- Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel Outlook and the Internet.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and experience in grassroots fundraising.
- Knowledge and experience in fee for service contracts and business models.
- Consistently high-quality analysis, decision-making and judgment.
- Experience in organizational planning processes.
- Experience building Resource Development infrastructures.
- Experience in public presentations and group facilitation.
- Extensive knowledge of Silicon Valley community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse groups and organizations.
- Bilingual preferred
SOMOS Mayfair is an equal opportunity employer. SOMOS Mayfair does not discriminate, in any way, against any staff or applicant on the basis of race, sex, color, age, religion, actual or perceived gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic or national origin, or familial status.