Chief Bicycle Mechanic
Free Bikes 4 Kidz Atlanta is a non-profit organization whose goal is to collect and refurbish gently used bicycles to give to underserved children who otherwise have no resources to get a bicycle. The Atlanta FB4K team focuses on the underserved areas of metro Atlanta through partnerships with groups such as the United Way and Atlanta Public Schools. Our collection, refurbishing and giveaway season runs from late September through early December of each year. Our 2019 goal is to collect and refurbish 1,000 bicycles, almost doubling the size of our 2018 operation.
FB4KATL is looking for a Chief Bicycle Mechanic for the refurbishment season lasting roughly from early September to early January. The Chief Mechanic will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the bike refurbishment/repair area and the bike preparation stations within the FB4k warehouse. This facility is usually donated to FB4K and is usually in a different location every year. The Chief Mechanic will work in conjunction with the Warehouse Manager to ensure that the prep and repair areas are set up properly for bike repair work and that the storage, tracking and refurbishment process runs smoothly.
The duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Be available during the shop hours -- Saturdays and Sundays from October to mid-December estimated at 2 weekends a month and some weekday evenings (including transportation to and from the warehouse site)- preferably on site.
- Setting up the initial refurb/repair shop floor according to FB4K ops plans.
- Managing all mechanics and the operations within the mechanic’s area:
- Determining bikes to be worked on based on the current need
- Assigning bikes/jobs based on a mechanic’s skill level
- Mentoring volunteer mechanics
- Ensuring repairs are done correctly prior to Quality Control check
- Tracking and maintaining the supply of tires, tubes, cables, hosing, pedals, etc
- Ordering needed parts and accessories from QBP and JBI (both FB4K partners)
- Organizing workstations and FB4K owned toolsets and work stands
- Ensuring all tools are returned to their proper spot at the end of each work shift /day
- Monitoring the tools and ordering replacement or new tools as necessary (Park Tool is an FB4K partner)
- Act as the final Quality Control mechanic and provide sign-off; appoint other QC mechanics who meet competency levels
- Coordinating schedule and volunteer needs with the volunteer coordinator.
- Work with the site host to make sure all volunteer mechanics get the proper training (quick FB4K videos)
- Manage the ‘triage’ process by determining what level of repair a donated bike is at
- Expert in bicycle mechanics and repairs; especially older bikes and inexpensive department store level bikes. Also need knowledge in older and off-standard bikes
- 3+ years’ experience in managing bike shop and /or repair facility operations
- Comfort level in ordering parts and equipment from FB4K partners and local vendors as needed
- Ability to work with, oversee and mentor volunteer mechanics, preppers and sometimes cleaners
- Ability to teach others including volunteers and lead mechanics
- Ability to work with other FB4K leaders (Warehouse Manager, Volunteer Coordinator, etc.)
- Understanding the goals of a non-profit verses a for-profit operation
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Patient even when encountering unforeseen issues
- Ability to recruit volunteer mechanics
- No felonies or other convictions that would keep the Chief Mechanic from being near children.
- Knowledge of similar non-profit bike co-op operations (SOPO, Bearings, Georgia Tech, etc)
- Experience with the FB4K refurbishment and/or Giveaway Day
- MS Excel as needed for bike counts and/or entering data into the system