- Experience Level
The Association of United Methodist Camp and Retreat Ministries (UMCRM) is a professional collaboration designed to strengthen the faith-forming capacity of 190 centers and ministries across the country. Our camp and retreat ministries play a unique role in the work of the church in forming faith – providing places for people of all ages to disconnect from daily life and to reconnect with creation, community, and Creator.
Working in tandem with a jurisdictionally representative Board of Directors and a geographically diverse and enthusiastic membership community, this role will build on the successful work of the Association’s founders and volunteers in leading the organization to even greater visibility, impact, and sustainability. To reach its aspirations, UMCRM seeks a leader who is authentically excited about its mission and who can recognize and fully realize the spectrum of immediate and long-term opportunities for camp and retreat ministries across the connection. The Director will bring the presence, gravitas, and charisma required to represent the organization in a manner that compels financial and philanthropic support, a desire to explore and forge new partnerships, capacity to inspire and engage volunteers, and established credibility as a leader and ministry advocate. Fundamentally, this individual will bring a passion for camp and retreat ministries and/or tangential professional experience in managing an initiative of similar complexity and scope. Key functions for the work of the Director with Association include: 1. Nurturing professional growth and development of current and future camp and retreat ministry leaders. 2. Fostering excellence in the operation and ministry of member Conferences and sites. 3. Strengthening the network of communication, collegiality, and support among leaders of ministry sites. 4. Advocating for camp and retreat ministries within the wider Church. 5. Maintaining a collaborative and healthy relationship with the Board of Directors and volunteers.
United Methodist Camp and Retreat Ministries, Inc. (www.umcrm.org) is a network of over 280 individuals representing the United Methodist camping and retreat ministries sites and Annual Conferences across the country. Through community building, education, and advocacy, UMCRM supports and resources the leadership of these holy spaces, which are set apart for individuals to come away from ordinary routines and discern God’s presence in their life. Based on the current Strategic Initiatives, UMCRM seeks to: Develop a clear and compelling Vision for the Association’s Ministry that moves us toward being known for our Expertise in Faith Formation - Three components: adopt vision statement for association in support of leader development; align initiatives of association toward developing/growing expertise in forming faith and growing leadership; produce trainings and materials in support of the association vision for faith/leadership development Assume authority for denominational Camp and Retreat Ministry and develop Relational Influence - Three components: build trust with and lead on behalf of our Camp and Retreat Ministries membership; lift up expertise to assist membership to develop and measure central competency in faith formation; assume functions formerly provided by Discipleship Ministries (DM) and relationships formerly handled by DM. Define, Measure, and Communicate Missional Impact - Four components: develop metrics for measuring missional (faith formation/leadership) impact for use by both local sites and the association as a whole; develop best practices and assessment tools for site/program sustainability for use by both local sites and the association as a whole; intentionally develop and deepen internal and external relationships; and optimize current, and develop new, modes of communication of impact, both internal and external.
1) Cultivate and secure the financial resources necessary to ensure the sustainability and success of UMCRM; the individual will lead and manage the organization with an acute sense of balancing both its mission and fiscal health. 2) Serve as a dynamic public face of the organization – overseeing and promoting relationships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders (including the United Methodist Church, individual United Methodist camp and retreat leaders, partner organizations, ACA, Outdoor Ministry Connection, vendors, etc.). 3) Work through the UMCRM Association to recruit, equip, and empower a body of volunteers to maximize the connectionalism of the organization. This individual will resource the organization with maturity and grace and provide opportunities for members to engage with the work of the Association. 4) Actively communicate and collaborate with the Board of Directors to ensure the successful implementation of its strategic direction on behalf of UMCRM. 5) Work closely with the Board of Directors, Association members, and partners to advance the vision for expertise in faith formation, organizational excellence, and broad communication of missional impact per UMCRM’s strategic initiatives.
Assets being sought in the Director include:
● An authentic passion and understanding of camp and retreat ministries
● Demonstrated ability in project management
● Experience in and familiarity with fundraising
● Experience with non-profit administration
● A high level of personal and professional credibility
● Courage and tenacity in approaching new projects and opportunities
● Effectiveness as a dynamic spokesperson for UMCRM; excellent oral and written communication skills and a high level of emotional intelligence
● Diplomacy and maturity in interfacing with the UMCRM membership, The United Methodist Church and its staff and partners, donors, volunteers, and board of directors
● Demonstrated ability to build and cultivate relationships expanding UMCRM’s visibility among partner organizations
● Ability to strengthen the financial stability of UMCRM through the sustaining membership, cultivation of donors and fund development efforts, and increasing areas of revenue generating programs
● Demonstrated ability to seek grants and maintain relationships with grantors
● Familiarity with interacting as an employee of a non-profit board
● Familiarity with budgeting, financial concepts, accounting processes used in business, and overseeing organizational finances
● Experience in building and leading a staff and body of volunteers, and promoting a strong organizational culture
● UMCRM relates to the United Methodist Church and as such, candidates should embrace working in a United Methodist Church environment.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred
Office Location, Salary, & Benefits:
● Expectation that the Director work remotely
● Travel is expected and varies throughout the year
● Full-time, exempt position includes salary based on experience, as well as pension, vacation, and health allowance
● Position reports to UMCRM Board of Directors
For potential consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Questions can be directed to the UMCRM Board Chair, Russell Davis, at firstname.lastname@example.org. UMCRM is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.