4 days left
- Experience Level
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) is a non-profit membership organization that serves the needs of tree care professionals, and promotes the profession of arboriculture around the world. ISA is known as the industry authority on research, education and professional development. Each role in the organization plays an important part in delivering excellent member benefits and customer service.
The Accounting Specialist serves in a key position for computing, classifying, recording and managing data to keep the financial records of the Society complete. The Accounting Specialist performs many combinations of calculating, posting, verifying, reconciling, and balancing duties in order to obtain the primary financial data for use in accounting record maintenance and financial report preparation. In addition, the Accounting Specialist will compile and post employee payroll data, including appropriate deductions, and reconcile benefit expenses.
This positions works closely with the Director of Financial Services, assisting in many of the financial and fiscal management aspects of the ISA operations. Serves as a back-up to the Director of Financial Services, in the event of their absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Understands ISA’s Mission and adheres to organization and staff core values.
- Coordination and oversight of the annual fiscal audit preparation,
- Creates and prepares reports, and coordinates such in an audit binder in preparation of external audits
- Interfaces with the external auditors for ISA.
- Provides input and assists with the development and implementation of policies, procedures and integrations relating to financial management, budget, accounting, and/or payroll, aimed at improving the reliability of internal financial data.
- Assists in the review of financial policies as it relates to the external Policy and Procedure audit.
- Serves as a liaison to internal project/process teams to represent the impact or effect on financial processes or integrations.
- Prepares historical financial data reports, integrates budget requests into financial software and creates budget documents for internal use.
- Responds to research requests from other staff members in relation to account histories
- Utilizes the computerized financial management system (Great Plains) and the integration with the ISA database for the following:
- Maintains a chart of accounts and performs related maintenance to Great Plains and report writer program.
- Responsible for the database integration onto Great Plains at month end.
- Responsible for maintenance to the ISA database for accounting codes for A/R entries.
- Researches and investigates issues related to database and financial flow of information and processes, and provides for/initiates corrective action.
- Coordination and the management of accounting functions
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation schedules, property and operating expenses, and insurance records.
- Records, analyzes and continually tests balances and transactions as they relate to deferred revenue accounts and accrual accounting.
- Accounts receivable management including invoicing, maintaining and distributing aging reports, follow-up on past due accounts and managing the collection and write-off process. Post Accounts Receivable payments to Great Plains
- Responsible for processing all incoming vendor invoices, and shall ensure their accuracy through approval by department authorized signers. Will perform all invoice entry into accounts payable, and print and mail all payments.
- Provide bank account maintenance including:
- Posting automated debits and credits
- Monitoring and maintaining cash balances at banking institutions
- Maintaining petty cash accounts at ISA office
- Initiate foreign and domestic wire transfers
- Preparing all bank reconciliations
- Scheduling and/or performing all accounts reconciliation on a monthly/annual basis
- Perform month end and year-end close cycle for ISA for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger.
- Prepare and process monthly journal entries for ISA.
- Monthly review of general ledger for data entries accuracy.
- Monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts for ISA-perform more complex reconciliations and review other reconciliations performed by other staff members.
- Responsible for the review and reconciling settlements to online credit card processed batches and PayPal processed payment accounting reports. When batch problems are identified, a detailed e-mail of needed corrections is forwarded to appropriate personnel.
- Provide bank account maintenance including:
- Generates monthly financial reports and any supporting documentation
- Prepares financial statements for ISA.
- Responsible for the distribution of ISA financial statements
- Responsible for uploading payroll data to Great Plains and assisting with the reconciliation of employee benefit expenses.
- Calculate and submit employee/employer 401k contribution
- Remit Federal withholding to the IRS for 401k disbursements
- Researches and prepares the information needed to be in compliance for all required tax reports
- Preparation of 1099MISC annually
- Calculate and submit sales and use tax for states with filing requirements.
- Provide calculations for Unrelated Business Income Tax
- Responsible for other accounting and financial management duties including but not limited to:
- Processing and approving applications to receive credit from ISA.
- Record keeping and file management, including record retention processes.
- Upload corporate credit card data into Great Plains.
- Primary contact for staff with credit card and balancing issues.
- Researching, analyzing, and providing corrective action for payment and database problems.
- Correct data entry errors in database and Great Plains.
- Run credit card transactions for sales processed outside of the database.
- Produce, verify, and approve payment of credentialing payment reports.
- Prepare and distribute reports to ISA Components.
- Audit transactions and invoice Components for administrative services including ISA climbing event insurance usage.
- Direct the collection of NSF checks and charge backs.
- Approval of Administration invoices.
- Provide support to staff with specific account questions.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Requires knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices, preferably as they relate to nonprofit organizations.
- Associates degree in accounting or related field required, bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field preferred.
- At least five years of experience in Accounting, Finance, Payroll or Bookkeeping.
- Will consider candidates with less experience if offset by higher levels of education.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and in writing.
- Fluency in additional languages is a plus.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret various financial reports including financial statements, statement of cash flows, budgets, and audit documents.
- Ability to write and speak in a professional manner.
Decision Making/Reasoning Ability
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, develop conclusions, and make recommendations.Ability to apply principles of logical or practical thinking to a range of mathematical/financial problems.
- Able to work independently to complete projects without significant day-to-day supervision.
- Ability to complete projects accurately and completely within deadlines.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages. These skills will be applied to balancing/reconciling numbers, handling currency. exchange rates, calculating taxes, and performing a variety of manual adjustments.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Resolve issues with grace and diplomacy.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- Moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery such as calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external customers.
- This position requires occasional lifting, under 25 lbs.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Technology and Equipment
- Uses Microsoft Windows and Office; including Outlook and Word
- High proficiency utilizing Microsoft Excel and database applications.
- Use of internet.
- Use of computerized accounting systems. Great Plains/Dynamics and report writing programs.
ISA is an equal opportunity employer. This position is located in Downtown Atlanta, GA. This is not a remote position.
Applications are accepted on our careers page: https://www.isa-arbor.com/Careers/Work-at-ISA