- Experience Level
Organization: San Francisco General Hospital Foundation
Job Title: Communication Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Marketing
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation is a dynamic and growing nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting research, education and care for all at the Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG). Zuckerberg San Francisco General is the only provider of trauma (Level 1) and 24-hour psychiatric emergency services for 1.5 million people in San Francisco and northern San Mateo counties.
A comprehensive medical center, Zuckerberg San Francisco General provides quality health care with compassion and respect to 100,000 inpatient and 500,000 outpatient visits per year, including some of San Francisco’s most vulnerable. In addition, Zuckerberg San Francisco General is one of the nation’s top tertiary academic medical centers conducting clinical training and research.
In 2016, Zuckerberg San Francisco General opened a brand new acute care hospital and the Foundation concluded a successful multi-million dollar capital campaign. This candidate will be joining the Foundation at an exciting time as it continues to grow and advance public health in San Francisco. For more information about the Foundation and Zuckerberg San Francisco General, please visit: sfghf.org.
The Communications Manager will plan, develop and lead the Foundation's communications to drive engagement with donors, supporters and media in support of ZSFG initiatives. An integral collaborator across all teams, the Communications Manager will identify stories of impact at ZSFG and develop compelling content to share across all Foundation communications channels.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing, the newly developed Communications Manager position will craft communications that support acquisition and retention objectives while determining performance goals for the organization.
- Research, compose, and edit communications materials including web, email, print and social media
- Work in collaboration with the leadership team to develop materials for annual campaigns, event sponsorships, and other appeals
- Liaise with ZSFG and the Department of Public Health communications teams regarding media relations and crisis communications planning and response
- Manage PR vendor relationships including briefings, media reporting, tactical planning and performance
- Create and lead comprehensive, integrated and proactive communications strategies and tactics to promote SFGHF and ZSFG messaging and stories of impact
- Develop, in collaboration with the VP of Marketing, communication objectives and goals to support fundraising and engagement needs for the Development Team
- Own and maintain the Foundation external communication calendar stretching across social media, web, print, direct, events and public relations
- Cultivate key messaging and narratives while working closely with hospital programs to collect stories and photos, and develop creative ways to share these stories
- Work with Senior Manager, Corporate Engagement advising on key sponsor messaging to support annual strategies and the Foundation’s key annual Hearts in SF event
- Monitor, analyze, and share communication results on a monthly or quarterly basis
- Guide, ghost-write, and/or copy edit executive communications for key stakeholders and donors
- Performs other duties as assigned
Desired Qualifications and Requirements
Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years of professional experience in public relations or communications, or a related field is required
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing communications strategies, including campaigns and other tactics across digital and traditional channels
- Able to manage your time and output with little guidance
- Highly-motivated, self-starter who knows how to take projects and run with them
- Ability to think both like a communications pro and copy writer
- Strong writing skills and experience developing content for a wide range of communications channels
- Creative - able to develop hooks/angles/campaigns that will be of interest to press
- Ability to develop effective strategies for difficult communications challenge
- Experience working with non-profits or agencies
- Knowledge of how to craft performance reports to show impact
- A significant portfolio of past experience
- Are drawn to support a mission-based organization
Compensation and Application Information
San Francisco General Hospital Foundation offers a competitive compensation package based upon experience, and benefits including medical, dental and vision insurance as well as professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement plan, commuter discounts and vacation.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with your first and last name and Communication Manager in the subject line.Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or emails (other than submissions) to the Foundation directly.