Northern CA Student Organizing Coordinator
- Willingness to Travel
STUDENT ORGANIZING COORDINATOR
CFA seeks a Student Organizing Coordinator. The position requires a wide variety of skills, including recruitment and oversight of student interns on campuses spread over the state, the ability to develop plans, and mentor interns. The ideal student organizing coordinator candidate should be able to relate well with undergraduate student interns, identify with students and student life, and supervise them in a way that develops an intern’s organizing skills.
Applicant must be a self-motivated, deadline-oriented individual with a willingness and desire to learn new skills, and work with people in academia and in labor unions.
Essential Job Duties:
- Supervises the work of student interns;
- Develops and implements organizing plans for turnout at chapter and statewide events;
- Guides, trains, and mentors student interns in order to develop their organizing skills;
- Identifies and engages new members and interns;
- Participates in statewide organizing campaigns, events, and activities;
- Identifies, develops and maintains effective working relationships with community allies;
- Assists with membership recruitment, faculty organizing and political campaigns;
- Plans and develops statewide organizing efforts for interns around strategic issues
- Anti-Racism/Social Justice Transformation, including intentionally working to infuse anti-racist and social justice values into the everyday work of CFA;
- Assists with grievance meetings, faculty rights meetings and meet and confers;
- Develops and maintains productive relationships with CFA officers, members, interns and staff.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Skill and experience organizing campaigns and members;
- A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement, the university and beyond;
- Skill and experience in strategic thinking, organizational development, campaign development and long term planning;
- Ability to work independently and meet CFA goals;
- Knowledge of organizing practices;
- Possesses excellent verbal and analytical skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff;
- Ability to travel frequently (weekly basis).
- Demonstrated skill, experience and acumen in developing others;
- Demonstrated ability to infuse anti-racism and social justice work into the everyday work of CFA;
- Experience organizing and/or working in strategic campaigns;
- Demonstrated skill and experience creating and implementing organizing and/or strategic plans;
- Familiarity working with union officers and member-based committees;
- Excellent writing, oral communication and public speaking skills;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- The successful applicant will work a non-standard work week including evenings and weekends when required.
- Frequent travel within the state, and some limited travel outside the state.
- Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Salary/Benefits/Location: CFA offers a fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and generous paid vacation. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement; salary is commensurate with experience (range starts at $50k).
To apply send cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to email@example.com.
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer. Women, people of color and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. CFA is affiliated with SEIU, NEA, CTA and AAUP.