TICAS Federal Policy Team Member
- Experience Level
The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is a national nonprofit based in Oakland, CA, and Washington, DC. We are a trusted source of research, design, and advocacy for student-centered public policies that promote affordability, accountability, and equity in higher education. Our staff combines expertise in research and data, laws and regulations, change management, and the policymaking process. We nurture close relationships with policymakers, providing specific recommendations and working hand-in-hand to help them navigate legal, budgetary, and political hurdles. We build momentum for new policies by building diverse coalitions of advocates and constituents and by driving media coverage. We pride ourselves on the impact of our work and are known for our reliable research, carefully designed policy recommendations, and partnerships with policymakers and advocates.
About the Position
TICAS is seeking a talented and committed candidate to help design and execute TICAS’ federal policy strategy on behalf of low-income students and students of color. This position will be based in the Washington, D.C. office. The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Advocacy and Strategy
- Policy Analysis
The successful candidate will work with the TICAS leadership team to develop and implement strategies for achieving policy goals on issues including equity, affordability and accountability in higher education. The candidate will represent TICAS in meetings with federal executive and legislative branch policy-makers and staff, as well as with national experts and advocates. Key aspects of the role will be to monitor and shape legislative and regulatory developments, build and maintain coalitions, and use research and analysis to inform public discussions and policy outcomes. The position will report to the Vice President and work closely with staff across the organization.
You can learn more about our policy agenda to increase college access and success and reduce student debt here: https://ticas.org/initiative/student-debt-policy-agenda.
Government and External Relations
- Shape strategies to advance and communicate TICAS’ priorities and proposals to policymakers, their staff, and other stakeholders.
- Keep internal staff and external allies informed of developments and identify opportunities for them to contribution.
- Represent TICAS at in-person meetings and on conference calls with policymakers, researchers, and advocates. Specifically,
- schedule, organize, and develop plans for meetings with policymakers and staff, including gathering pertinent materials and providing appropriate follow-up materials and clarifications for subjects discussed in the meeting
- organize and/or coordinate coalition meetings and calls
- make presentations, participate in meetings and attend conferences on selected issues.
- Communicate with other organizations to build networks and alliances that support TICAS priorities; identify and recruit potential allies.
Advocacy and Strategy
- Develop and execute strategies for advancing TICAS’ policy priorities through legislative, regulatory, and other means
- Identify potential allies and effective arguments and counter-arguments in favor of policy change
- Develop and cultivate coalitions of organizations with shared interests.
- Analyze, summarize, and make recommendations on draft policy proposals, including on legislative, regulatory and administrative issues.
- Monitor and analyze regulatory, and legislative developments, particularly in the areas of college accountability and affordability, including efforts to advance proposals regarding student loan Cohort Default Rates, gainful employment, borrower defense, Pell Grants, student loan repayment and state and federal partnerships.
- Contribute to the research and analysis for briefs, blogs and fact sheets;
- Author research briefs and fact sheets.
- BA is required and a graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Three years of experience in higher education policy or in public policy advocacy.
Core Competencies for the position
- Demonstrated evidence of success working directly with senior level executives
- Demonstrated knowledge of higher education policy
- Strong analytical skills; comfort with quantitative analyses preferred
- Relevant experience in federal policy analysis and advocacy
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to build and sustain relationships and work in coalitions, including managing disparate priorities among several constituencies
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively
Interested candidates should submit an application tohttps://airtable.com/shraQel1OoSBZ6Vf6 where you can upload a resume and cover letter, please include:
- Why you are passionate about TICAS’ mission.
- How you believe your experience makes you the right fit for this position
- Indicate where you first found this job posting
Interested candidates should also include two professional references with their cover letter.
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.