Oakland- Vice President of People (National)
- Position Type
- Full Time
Vice President of People- National (Oakland)
About College Track
College Track is a comprehensive college completion program that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college. From ninth grade through college graduation, our 10-year program removes the academic, financial, and social-emotional barriers that prevent low-income and first-generation students from earning their college degree. In 1997, we started with 25 students in East Palo Alto, and today, we have ten centers located in underserved communities across California, Colorado, Louisiana, and the D.C. Metro Area with more than 3,000 students on the path to upward social mobility.
To learn more, please visit www.collegetrack.org
College Track students graduate from college at a rate that is more than double the national average for low-income and first-generation students. Five years out of college, our graduates are employed full-time, and over 85% report earnings greater than their parents. By helping our students maximize the value of their four-year college degree, which includes minimizing student loan debt, securing internships, and limiting the need to work while in college--we prepare them to succeed in the 21st century economy.
At College Track, our values drive the way we do our work, and we look for individuals who share our passion. We blend an entrepreneurial spirit with our nonprofit roots, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone's contributions are valued and encouraged.
* COMMITMENT: We have an unwavering belief in our students.
* PASSION: We are dedicated to changing our nation’s college completion story.
* JOY: We create environments rich with smiles and laughter.
* AUTHENTICITY: We believe relationships matter.
* EXCELLENCE: Our students deserve nothing but the best.
We are seeking an professional, dynamic, hands-on, collaborative, self-motivated leader to join us as our Vice President of People and to serve as our human capital expert and people advocate within the organization. The Vice President of People is responsible for setting the vision, strategy, and implementation of all people-related activities, including overseeing the implementation of the new four year strategic plan as it pertains to the investment and support of our people.
The Vice President of People provides strategic and values-driven leadership as the driving force in culture, leadership development, and proactive workforce planning. S/he works closely with senior leaders to identify and implement key strategic organizational and operational projects. Reporting directly to the Chief Finance and Operating Officer, the Vice President of People will lead a growing team and oversee organizational and talent development, employee experience, and talent acquisition functions.
* Serve as a key member of the national leadership team and function as the human capital expert and advocate for the organization.
* Serve as a strategic advisor, functional expert, and thought partner to our leaders and teams across the organization regarding all people-related activities within each of the three areas: talent acquisition, organizational and talent development, and employee experience.
* Provide expertise in motivating, developing, and retaining people across the organization.
* Drive enhancements to our culture and meet our ever-growing talent requirements in support of College Track’s growth plan, strategic direction and mission impact.
* Lead, develop, organize, manage and evolve People function which includes workforce design and planning; culture; Diversity Equity and Inclusion (DEI); organizational and talent development; succession management and planning; performance management; compensation; on/off-boarding; total rewards; HR systems and policies; employee relations; and talent acquisition.
* Develop and execute strategies that tangibly improve the effectiveness, efficiency, accuracy and overall results of critical talent management and human resource systems.
* Using qualitative and quantitative data and metrics, develop the departmental and human capital scorecards to inform priorities related to national and regional talent acquisition, talent development, employee engagement, employee retention, and management capacity building and accountability.
* Ensure the People department is a high functioning, strategic, and service-minded team that partners with leaders to provide organizational, culture-building, and workforce support.
* Manage and coach team on growth & development of key competencies to ensure team and individual success on individual goals & development.
Skills & Experience Required
First and foremost, the Vice President of People must embrace the College Track vision of transforming low-income communities into places where college readiness and college graduation are the norms. S/he must embody and model College Track core values and model a deep commitment to improving education equity.
Additionally, candidates must posses the following qualifications:
* 12+ years of management experience, with at least five years in a senior leadership role in human resources and/or talent preferably in the education, non-profit or corporation sectors
* Strong foundation across all HR functional areas including; recruiting, talent development, organizational development, change management, compensation and benefits, compliance/legal policies, learning and development, rewards, engagement, employee relations, etc.
* Track record of achieving strong results while building and fostering an inclusive, collaborative, and high-performance culture.
* Excellent relationship building skills with a demonstrated ability to work well with people with a wide diversity of demographic and professional experience levels across a decentralized work environment
* Strong strategic thinking skills with an ability to articulate a clear, compelling vision, use data to inform decisions and to translate strategy to plan to action
* Strong project management skills with significant experience leading change management
* Ability to coach and mentor direct reports, peers and executives on sound talent management practices; track record of driving organizational results through coaching and mentoring
* Proven ability to recruit, hire, develop and retain effective, diverse teams and to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
* Demonstrated success in staff leadership, management, and development
* Demonstrated ability to manage large and complex operating budgets
* Exceptional communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
* Demonstrated creativity when addressing challenging situations with limited resources
* Bachelor’s degree required. Master's Degree, PHR/ SPHR certificate or any other advanced education/ training in the HR field preferred.
* Have experience working in launch, growth and/or transition phases of organizations
Compensation & Benefits
College Track offers a competitive salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top of the market paid time off.
Please upload a resume and a thoughtful cover letter with your application. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
College Track is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. College Track does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.