Watts- College Completion Advisor
- Position Type
- Full Time
College Completion Advisor- Watts
About College Track
College Track is a comprehensive college completion program that empowers students from underserved communities to graduate from college. From ninth grade through college graduation, our 10-year program removes the academic, financial, and social-emotional barriers that prevent low-income and first-generation students from earning their college degree. In 1997, we started with 25 students in East Palo Alto, and today, we have ten centers located in underserved communities across California, Colorado, Louisiana, and the D.C. Metro Area with more than 3,000 students on the path to upward social mobility.
To learn more, please visit www.collegetrack.org
College Track students graduate from college at a rate that is more than double the national average for low-income and first-generation students. Five years out of college, our graduates are employed full-time, and over 85% report earnings greater than their parents. By helping our students maximize the value of their four-year college degree, which includes minimizing student loan debt, securing internships, and limiting the need to work while in college--we prepare them to succeed in the 21st century economy.
At College Track, our values drive the way we do our work, and we look for individuals who share our passion. We blend an entrepreneurial spirit with our nonprofit roots, cultivating a dynamic culture where everyone's contributions are valued and encouraged.
* COMMITMENT: We have an unwavering belief in our students.
* PASSION: We are dedicated to changing our nation’s college completion story.
* JOY: We create environments rich with smiles and laughter.
* AUTHENTICITY: We believe relationships matter.
* EXCELLENCE: Our students deserve nothing but the best.
The College Completion Advisor is responsible for supporting students in owning their college experience and ensuring that 70% of College Track students graduate with a bachelor’s degree within six years. The ideal candidate is a motivated, hard-working individual with experience advising, influencing and managing first-generation college students.
Manage a caseload of college students to achieve the following:
* Student Transition Support: In collaboration with the College Completion Director, provide individualized support and create college transition plans for high school seniors to ensure students matriculate to college.
* Academic Achievement: Review student data consistently. Provide direct coaching and utilize motivational interviewing techniques to ensure students make behavioral changes that lead to health and success and ultimately, are on track to graduate. Whenever possible, refer students to appropriate non-College Track resources (e.g. financial aid office, mental health center, tutoring program, etc).
* College Affordability: Support students in graduating from college with manageable debt. Ensure students apply for and receive all available financial aid and scholarships.
* Future Opportunities: Serve as a resource to students by connecting them to career and leadership development opportunities.
Skills & Experience Required
* 1-2 years of experience advising and supporting first-generation college student
* Holds the highest expectations for students. Demonstrated success in motivating, influencing and managing students. Strong interpersonal skills and effective at relationship building with students and families
* Strong sense of possibility; approaches new challenges with optimism.
* Reliably prioritizes the highest impact work amongst competing demands, delegates effectively, holds self accountable and produces quality work consistently
* Focuses on delivering outcomes despite obstacles, seeks out challenges as opportunities to grow, takes unexpected setbacks in stride, and is able to galvanize self towards goals and impact.
* Minimum 4-year college degree
Compensation & Benefits
College Track offers a competitive salary based on the organization’s compensation philosophy, which is grounded in market data. We also offer comprehensive health & welfare benefits and top of the market paid time off.
Please upload a resume and a thoughtful cover letter with your application. We will only contact candidates chosen for further consideration. No phone inquiries please.
College Track is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. College Track does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression.