Children’s Social Worker-Women’s Services
- Degree Level
Do you feel called to work in Christian Ministry?
Do you want to work where you make a difference in the lives of others?
Join us at Atlanta Mission, where we make a difference in the loves of over 1000 men, women, and children every day by providing food, shelter, clothing, counseling, vocational and spiritual guidance. We get to witness radical life transformations.
This position is housed at our My Sister's House location
As a Children’s Social Worker , you will serve within our ministry by providing counseling and case management services to children and their parents, helping them achieve results based upon established goals and objectives.
You will also perform the following:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Admission (Screening, Intake and Orientation): After mother’s admission:
- Collects, records and analyzes documentation and referral sources
- Establishes appropriate level of interaction with child and mother to determine suitability for program needs
- Gathers relevant information via bio-psycho-social assessment to form the basis for counseling recovery goals and establish personalized service plan for child and family
- Oversees and conducts the interactive process of providing assistance to child to help change/maintain desired and constructive attitudes, beliefs and behaviors
- Determines the most appropriate type of assistance and counseling intervention to facilitate desired outcomes
- Provides counseling services that includes individual, family, group and crisis intervention counseling
- Educates mother on all phases of the counseling process
- Facilitates therapeutic group sessions with child and members of child’s support system as appropriate
- Teaches psychoeducational curriculum units to child and/or mothers as necessary
- Assists the Director-Children’s Services in periodic review and update of curriculum and other programs
- Communicates clinical/behavioral concerns to multi-disciplinary team assigned to the family and Children’s Services Leader
- Interprets and incorporates biblical principles into counseling and education of child
- Maintains and records the results of the counseling process and all client interactions accurately, descriptively and in a timely fashion, including all necessary forms, releases, consent forms and records
- Provides case management services which includes case consultation, interfacing with other agencies and professionals to provide services needed by the child in order to achieve his/her goals, and case review
Discharge and Aftercare:
- Provides discharge and aftercare planning, including mechanisms to reinforce changed attitudes, beliefs and behaviors
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong desire to work in a Christian ministry and passion for serving those experiencing homelessness
- Strong computer literacy in MS Office
- Strong relational skills with the ability to reach people form diverse groups and advocate for children
- Excellent listening skills and the ability to draw out information from children who may be guarded regarding thoughts and emotions
- Teachable spirit with the ability to learn from others
- Strong team player
- Strong understanding of mandated reporting and ethical guidelines
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Masters of Science or Masters of Arts degree with 2-3 years of related experience
- Experience working with a similar population, preferably in a Christian ministry
- Demonstrated track record of dealing with difficult and challenging children/parents in a teaching, pastoral, ministerial, counseling or related capacity
CERTIFICATION OR LICENSE REQUIREMENTS: Eligible for license as: LAPC- Licensed Associate Professional Counselor, LPC - Licensed Professional Counselor, LMSW - Licensed Masters of Social Work, LCSW Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Must be able to obtain licensure within first 6 months of employment.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have the ability to remain in a stationary position (standing, sitting and/or walking)
- Must have the ability to constantly operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a copy machine, calculator and computer printer
- Must be able to communicate accurate information
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 25lbs
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions
- Moderate noise as in a business office environment
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS: (OPTIONAL SECTION: ANY TRAVEL, SECURITY, RISK, HAZARD OR RELATED SPECIAL CONDITION WHICH APPLY TO THE POSITION)
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule which includes some evenings and weekends
- Valid GA driver’s license and comfortable driving a 15 passenger van or bus
Employer PAID benefits: Term Life and AD&D Insurance - Short-Term Disability - Travel Assistance Program - Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - Employee Advocacy Services
Employer CONTRIBUTED Benefits: Medical and 403b Retirement Plan
Atlanta Mission transforms, through Christ, the lives of those facing homelessness. We are a community united to end homelessness . . . one friend at a time.
Atlanta Mission has been called by God to serve the city of Atlanta.
Since its 1938 beginnings, this Christian nonprofit ministry has grown from a small soup kitchen to a multi-facility organization serving Metro Atlanta's large homeless population. Today, Atlanta Mission provides emergency shelter, rehab and recovery services, vocational training, services, and transitional housing. We serve more than 1,000 homeless men, women, and children every day.
Atlanta Mission meets each person where they are, in their unique circumstances, to provide customized services to help them overcome the cause of their homelessness.
We believe that a relationship with Christ is the key to restoration, redemption, and sustainable change for everyone. We invest in the spiritual, personal, and professional development of people, restoring and equipping them to intentional living. We believe that in empowering and coaching people toward excellence, we impact the quality of all we do.
Various factors lead to homelessness job loss, eviction, family tragedy, addiction, domestic violence, a major health condition, and more. The common denominator is a major crack in their life foundation. Our programs are multi-pronged and multi-layered, designed to meet people where life has led them.