Senior Policy Associate
- Position Type
- Full Time
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is seeking a full-time Senior Policy Associate for JMA’s National Program, which focuses on growing support for equitable industrial policy and job creation with decision-makers, legislators, and labor and community-based organizations across the country. The Senior Policy Associate will delve deeply into state and federal procurement regulations and building knowledge of procurement policies that will help JMA’s campaign teams in Alabama, California, Illinois, and New York win powerful policies to create high-road American jobs, remedy historical hiring inequities, and strengthen American manufacturing. The job will also include a range of different types of outreach to colleagues at transit agencies, in the legal and policy communities, and at allied equity- and labor-focused groups around the country. The position will be based in New York City. The Senior Policy Associate will report to JMA’s National Program Director.
About Jobs to Move America:
Jobs to Move America (JMA) is a national organization working to ensure that public investment in manufactured equipment supports quality American manufacturing jobs, and generates career opportunities for historically underrepresented workers in the industry, as well as those facing barriers to employment. Jobs to Move America also negotiates Community Benefits Agreements with high road manufacturing employers in the U.S. to ensure equity and opportunity for all workers.
Responsibilities for this role will include:
- Performing legal research on federal and state procurement rules to support the work of government agencies and policymakers in using the US Employment Plan
- Developing and leading JMA’s expertise on the legal and political considerations around procurement regulations
- Leading research on local hire practices in the transportation/infrastructure sector
- Tracking changes in and providing guidance on federal transportation policy
- Coordinating with agencies that collaborate with JMA to help expand the practice of inclusive procurement policies
- Coordinating and leading work with JMA coalition partners
- Developing and producing educational materials for JMA allies and agency partners
- Drafting and submitting FOIA/Public Records Act requests
- Supporting the policy work of JMA’s teams in CA, IL, AL, and NY
- Conducting outreach to legal experts to build a JMA Legal Advisory Committee
Required qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of four years of experience related to transportation and/or infrastructure policy, preferably at the federal level. Experience on labor and civil rights issues will also be considered.
- Legal training (bar membership in any state is acceptable; bar membership in New York is preferred)
- Strong writing skills (selected applicants will be asked to take part in a writing exercise)
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing the interests of people of color, women, veteran, and/or formerly incarcerated people at America's workplaces.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide array of constituencies including elected officials, agency staff, and members of the public.
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities, collaborate as part of a team, and work in a deadline driven environment.
- A demonstrated commitment to meeting a high bar and a history of getting things done even in the face of obstacles
- Experience working with/for government agencies and/or elected officials
- Experience working with workforce groups and unions and/or on issues relating to the labor movement
Extra consideration will be given for candidates who:
- Identify as persons of color, women, veterans, or formerly incarcerated persons and/or have had experience working with more than one of those groups
- Have experience working in the labor movement
More searches like this
- Advocacy / Lobbying Government $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Development / Fundraising Government $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Program / Project Management Government $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Public Policy / Administration Government $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in New York City
- Research Government $60,000 - $69,999 Full Time jobs in New York City