Manuscript Editor, Arthritis Care & Research
- Degree Level
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF RHEUMATOLOGY
Based in Atlanta, GA The Association of Rheumatology Professionals, a division of the American College of Rheumatology, is a professional membership society composed of non-physician health care professionals specializing in rheumatology, such as advanced practice nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, psychologists, social workers, epidemiologists, physician assistants, educators, clinicians, researchers, research coordinators and office staff. ARP publishes Arthritis Care & Research, a journal focusing on health services and clinical aspects of rheumatology.
With over 9,400 members from around the world we offer a variety of services, including: educational programming, legislative advocacy, and practice management support and grant funding through its Rheumatology Research Foundation. The ACR’s Annual Scientific Meeting, held each fall, is the premier scientific meeting in the world devoted to rheumatic diseases. The ACR publishes Arthritis & Rheumatology, the premier scientific journal for research in the rheumatic diseases.
TITLE: Manuscript Editor, Arthritis Care & Research
POSITION #: 60
DATE: May 2019
DEPARTMENT: Association of Rheumatology Professionals (ARP),
Division of the American College of Rheumatology
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Managing Editor, Arthritis Care & Research
OTHER: This is an in-house position located in our Atlanta, GA office. Telecommuting and/or working from a remote location for this position is not available.
POSITION SUMMARY DESCRIPTION:
This position is responsible for editing and proofreading manuscripts submitted to the journal Arthritis Care & Research for publication.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Edit manuscripts for grammar, spelling, syntax, and scientific/technical/medical terminology according to journal style
- Rephrase statements to conform to current style and usage conventions and to improve comprehensibility
- Rewrite and reorganize sections of manuscripts to improve organization of ideas and comprehensibility
- Verify consistency of data
- Format data tables and determine sizing of illustrations
- Correspond with authors concerning alterations, corrections, or questions
- Proofread typeset proofs
- Occasionally assist with/perform clerical functions for department or managing editor
- Any other duties as the Managing Editor, Arthritis Care & Research, Executive Director, ARHP, or Executive Vice President, ACR may direct
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, English, or similar
- Experience in scientific/technical/medical editing, 1-2 years preferred
- Strong command of language, grammar, syntax, and current clinical and laboratory medical terminology
- Ability to work with highly technical material
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively and professionally with authors, editor, and staff
The ACR provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The ACR complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities or conducts business.
This is not a contract. The description and duties as they relate to this position are subject to change as reasonable business necessity dictates. In the event of such changes, a new job description may be created.