Director of Homeless Outreach
- Experience Level
Director of Homeless Outreach
Intown Collaborative Ministries is seeking applicants for its full-time Director of Homeless Outreach program. Intown is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with a mission to prevent and reverse homelessness and hunger in Intown Atlanta. Since its founding in 2010, Intown has grown to be a leader in homeless outreach and food security in the Atlanta community. Intown’s homeless outreach program is guided by a Housing First philosophy and has grown to be the most effective team in the City of Atlanta. The Director of Homeless Outreach will join an experienced, successful, and energetic team of nine full-time staff, leading with wisdom as well as compassion.
The Director of Homeless Outreach oversees two grants and two programs, its homeless outreach program and its FLOW aftercare program. Director of Homeless Outreach will work with the outreach team leads, case managers, peer support specialist, and Assistant Director/LCSW towards the program goals of engaging, assessing, enrolling, and navigating people experiencing homelessness from the streets to permanent housing with needed supports. A focus will be placed on outreaching to chronically homeless, sleeping in places not meant for habitation. The FLOW program is a joint program of United Way, Atlanta Housing, and Intown Collaborative Ministries to help formerly homeless people navigate out of Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) beds into Atlanta Housing apartments.
The Director of Outreach will oversee the programmatic functions of Outreach and Flow, including supervising 9 employees—1 Assistant Director, 2 Team Leads, 1 peer support specialist, and 4 case managers. This detail-oriented person will report to the Executive Director.
- A passion for connecting with people experiencing chronic homelessness—who are often “service resistant”—is required
- Must be flexible, innovative, and adept at creative problem-solving
- 3-5 years working in homeless services is required
- 3-5 years working in the mental/behavioral health and/or substance abuse field is required
- 3-5 years as a hands-on supervisor is required
- Proficiency with Client Track or another HMIS is required
- Grant management experience is required
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency are required
- Experience with Housing First and client-centered care is required
- Experience with growing and agile work team is preferred
- Certification in Addiction Counseling is a plus
- Clinical License—Licensed Clinical Social Worker preferred, but not required
Director of Homeless Outreach Responsibilities:
- Oversee overall program compliance for homeless outreach program that is funded by two grants—CABHI and Home First
- Oversee grant and program compliance for the Cooperative Agreement to Benefit Homeless Individuals (CABHI) grant through the Substance Abuse Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA)
- Oversee overall grant and program compliance for Home First outreach grant
- Oversee overall program compliance for Home First FLOW program
- Work with front-line staff to manage and enter Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) enrollments, follow ups, and discharges
- Review caseloads with case managers to ensure enrolled clients are document-ready, enrolled in Client Track HMIS, and on the Atlanta COC Housing Queue
- Review daily Client Track Housing Queue and prompt case managers for referrals needing to be addressed
- Coordinate with CABHI Partner Agencies – Mercy Care Street Medicine, First Step, Caring Works/Hope House
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Attend or coordinate staff to attend regular Continuum of Care (COC) meetings
- Participate in monthly CABHI meeting with Partners for Home
- Manage Client Track system navigation for Outreach team and update bi-weekly list to ensure clients are housed as quickly as possible
- Work with Assistant Director to manage homeless engagement sites and provide insight/feedback to determine sites to drop or add
- Work with Assistant Director to troubleshoot barriers, along with team members, for any client issues that arise
- Assign team members to work alongside agency partner providers
- Work with Assistant Director and Team Leads to support front-line staff.
- Oversee FLOW program operations, including financial management and supervision of FLOW Housing Specialist
- Attend FLOW meetings with Atlanta Housing, United Way and Partners for Home, serving as a point person for ICM
- Participate in annual COC Point in Time count
- Other duties as assigned
The Director of Homeless Outreach position is a full-time, salaried position.
Most work will take place during normal business hours (between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.) but will also include some evening, early morning, and, occasionally, weekend hours. There is some flexibility in start- and end-time and possible administrative work-from-home days.
As the outreach work will span the entirety of the City of Atlanta, the Director of Homeless Outreach will travel regularly to and from Intown’s Lavista Park or Virginia Highland neighborhood offices in personal and/or agency vehicles. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license, their own personal vehicle, and a clean driving record. Intown will reimburse mileage at the federal mileage rate.
The Director of Homeless Outreach will report to the Executive Director. Supervision will take place regularly during normal business hours.
Total compensation is commensurate with experience and will include generous personal leave, 12 holidays days, and one artistic-day per year, where staff pursue artistic endeavors. Intown provides within its compensation funds that can be used for health insurance or retirement savings, but does not directly provide an insurance option or retirement savings option at present.
Qualified candidates should submit three specific items: 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) contact information for three references (including the context in which they know you) in Word or PDF format to Brad Schweers at email@example.com. Only applications including all three requested information will be considered. Candidates are encouraged to apply promptly. No phone calls please. Please put “Intown Director of Homeless Outreach” and nothing else in the subject line.
Intown considers applicants without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identification, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.