Foster Care/Adoption Social Worker
- Experience Level
Using professional opinion and independent judgment, provides case management services to children and resource parents to ensure the safety, wellbeing and positive outcomes for children in our care. Completion of Resource Family Assessments for potential resource families. Coordinates services in cooperation with Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) case workers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Screens and supports prospective resource parents, is competent in discussing difficult topics with families, and completes comprehensive, timely resource family assessment.
- Meets agency-established monthly benchmarks for number of completed resource family assessments.
- Perform intakes, providing individualized matching of families with children in foster care and provide support during the transition and placement in the home as needed.
- Completes and updates case records on a timely basis according to agency policy and regulatory requirements.
- Evaluates the needs of the child; develops and updates Needs & Services Plan (NSP); coordinates services in cooperation with DCFS case workers.
- Supervises children in placement; conducts meetings with placed children and resource families at regular intervals as required by regulation and in accordance with the child’s NSP.
- Provides clinical support services (e.g., accompaniment to school conferences, transportation, etc.) and relevant resources (e.g., referrals for medical, dental, counseling) to resource families to address a child’s transition into the foster home, and grief/loss issues resulting from a child’s reunification with birth family.
- Engages with child's biological family members by coordinating and supervising court ordered visits to ensure a safe, positive experience; assessing and documenting quality of visit; supports both child and family interaction through coaching and education; recommends services and supports to biological family members to address barriers to reunification if applicable.
- Completes and updates case records and submits periodic reports on a timely basis according to agency policy and regulatory requirements.
- Responds in a timely and appropriate manner to emergency calls from resource parents; completes require special incident reports according to agency and regulatory requirements.
- Participates in cross-departmental team meetings to address case status and concerns.
- Conducts resource family home inspections to ensure ongoing compliance with requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.