Physical Education Teacher and After-School Director
- Experience Level
PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER AND AFTER-SCHOOL DIRECTOR
Atlanta Youth Academy is seeking a passionate and highly skilled addition to our administrative team. The Physical Education teacher and After-School Director provides leadership, coordination, and supervision of the Physical Education and After-School Programs in a manner that ensures high quality and effective academic and enrichment programs. These programs will foster leadership development, intergroup relations, and physical education. The After-School Program is an extension of the academic school day. The successful candidate develops and implements a PE curriculum that serves PK-8th grade students during the school day.
Atlanta Youth Academy (AYA) is a Christian preparatory school for inner-city youth in Pre-Kindergarten through eighth grade who are willing to work hard and whose academic efforts are well-supported at home. Through an investment-partnership model between donors and our tuition-paying parents, AYA exposes students who otherwise would not have access to such opportunity to life-changing experiences, launching them to a brighter future in high school, college and beyond.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the Physical Education Teacher and After-School Director will be:
- Successfully incorporate AYA’s vision and mission into the after-school program to promote equitable outcomes for all students and parent engagement;
- Develop and instruct enrichment activities for students including short-term and long-term plans for the program;
- Provide educational support in the areas of reading, math, writing, STEM and homework assistance;
- Coordination of Bible Studies and Chapel activities;
- Develop physical endurance activities appropriate for each age group in PE;
- Provide documented lesson plans for PE with exposure to multiple sports/physical disciplines;
- Monitor students’ PE progress and needs as appropriate;
- Responsible for ordering, preparing, and documenting delivery of healthy snacks for after-care as needed;
- Organize and foster positive parent partnership and involvement;
- Establish and maintain communication with school staff, after-school staff, Dean of the Academy, community agencies/partners and families regarding all aspects of student involvement;
- Responsible to insure the safety and security of students, staff, and school property during PE and the after-school program;
- Responsible for handling discipline issues and reporting those to the Dean of the Academy.
- Responsible for the recruitment, hiring and training of staff;
- Perform performance evaluations and staff development
- Maintain accurate record-keeping, i.e. students attendance (PE and after-care), employee timesheets, etc.;
- Responsible for collection of all required confidential agreements and release forms.
- Monitor the environment for health and safety hazards;
- Be involved in the financial management of the program, in terms of budgeting and purchasing.
Other job duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Please send your resume with cover letter and two references to Peter Rooney, President by Friday, June 28th at:
Subject: “Job Opening – PE/After Care” OR
Atlanta Youth Academy
c/o Peter Rooney
2120 Forrest Park Road
Atlanta, GA 30315
The Atlanta Youth Academy exists to advance the kingdom of God by offering an excellent Christ-centered education to low-income, urban communities.