Human Resources Director
- Experience Level
The Law Foundation of Silicon Valley advances the rights of under-represented individuals and families in our diverse community through legal services, strategic advocacy, and educational outreach. Now with over 80 employees, the Law Foundation is the largest provider of free legal services in the South Bay. Located in downtown San Jose, the Law Foundation is a dynamic and interesting place to work. We pride ourselves on fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative and fun, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth. We are working towards a race-conscious legal services practice.
The Law Foundation is seeking a Human Resources Director to manage all aspects of human resources functions at the organization. The Human Resources Director will provide excellent customer service to the organization’s staff, and act as a partner to the management team. This position reports directly to the CEO and supervises the Operations Manager (office management/facilities) and Receptionist. The Human Resources Director will oversee all aspects of employee onboarding, offboarding, benefits plans, safety, and labor relations. This position is an integral part of the senior management team of the organization.
- Manage a wide variety of human resources functions, both strategically and administratively, at all levels of the organization;
- Work directly with management team to create and maintain a supportive and safe work environment;
- Supervise administrative operations including Operations Manager (admin/facilities) and Receptionist;
- Manage full employee onboarding and offboarding processes;
- Manage employee relations in a manner that is compassionate, straightforward and clear;
- Provide consultation to management on recruitment and retention, compensation, benefits, training and development, labor relations, compliance, and regulations;
- Conduct periodic benefits training sessions with employees, and provide ongoing support with plan utilization;
- Ensure all personnel policies and practices, and collective bargaining agreement are administered and interpreted correctly;
- Develop leave plans for employees taking parental or other leaves;
- Act as administrator and fiduciary for 401(k) plan;
- Manage annual employee review process; develop standardized tool to be used throughout the organization;
- With Accounting/Finance staff, maintain payroll records and manage semi-monthly payroll updates;
- Staff and support Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors;
- Conduct periodic competitive salary and benefit reviews;
- Maintain personnel files and record retention and destruction compliance;
- Manage health and safety requirements;
- Coordinate mandated and other trainings, including anti-harassment trainings.
- 8-10 years of human resources management experience demonstrating escalating responsibilities;
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business Management or related field;
- Experience working at a non-profit preferred, specifically in a direct service or community organization;
- Previous experience working in a union environment preferred;
- SHRM/SPHR/PHR certification preferred;
- Experience managing health insurance plans, and other employee benefit programs;
- Knowledge of state and federal employment and labor regulations;
- Previous experience and commitment to Race Equity work and experience incorporating race equity principles within a workplace environment;
- Ability to recruit excellent, diverse candidates to fill a variety of positions, including leading and developing recruitment strategies;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work effectively in collaborative settings and as a partner who provides coaching to other managers;
- Positive attitude, and forward-thinking orientation;
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment; excellent strategic thinking, judgment, analysis, and project management skills. Strong attention to detail;
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with underrepresented communities; demonstrated commitment and passion to serve the community;
- Ability to manage several projects and tasks simultaneously.
Highly competitive nonprofit salary; excellent benefits including generous paid time-off, fully paid employee health insurance and 401(k). More information regarding the Law Foundation is available on our website: www.lawfoundation.org.
The Law Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage people of color, women, people living with disabilities, older people, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people to apply. It is the policy of the Law Foundation to prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition or genetic information, veteran status, national origin, disability, marital or other protected status. The Law Foundation will conform to the spirit, as well as the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. Please submit the following via email to email@example.com: (1) a resume and (2) a cover letter that explains your interest in this position, and also addresses the question below.
In order to best serve our clients and our community, the Law Foundation is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How has your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, prepared you to contribute to social justice, race equity and diversity among our staff?