Youth Development Specialist
- Experience Level
80,000 youth ages 16-24 in the San Francisco Bay Area are disconnected from employment and education. Without connecting to school and work, these young people are at high risk to be poor, unemployed, homeless, or incarcerated throughout their adult lives. All youth should have the opportunity to transition to a fulfilling, economically sustainable adulthood.
At New Door Ventures, we believe youth are assets. To connect young people to paid jobs and support, we offer two programs: Employment (Youth Development), and Education. We are currently seeking a Youth Development Specialist to join our established, collaborative, East Bay Regional Youth Development Team.
About the Position:
At New Door, Youth Development Specialists (“YDS”) provide case management, advocacy, and life and job skills training to youth with a goal of supporting youth to attach to future employment and education. New Door YDS have a dual role which includes supervision to youth in their job-training internships as well as case management. Supervision includes working closely with site supervisors to whom interns report in order to ensure youth have all the tools they need to succeed in their assigned jobs.
In addition to this core work, each YDS works on multiple special projects as needed, including (but not limited to), workshop curriculum development, outreach and recruitment, and collecting beneficiary feedback.
This role is non-exempt and is located at New Door’s West Oakland location. Office space is on-site with one of New Door’s community partners, and is shared with that program as well as a collaborative, respectful team. Travel between program sites (for the purposes of case management and supervision) is expected.
- Case Management (caseload of 10-12 Transitional Age Youth)
- Workshop Facilitation
- Job Training and Skill Development
- Program Design, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Relational and Organizational Support
- Community Outreach and External Relationship Management
- Case Notes and Documentation Maintenance
- Youth-centered Activities Coordination
Required Qualifications & Skills:
- 2+ years experience in direct service to Transitional Aged, disconnected youth populations, preferably in a youth employment program
- Outstanding facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrated excellence in youth development philosophy, skills, and practice
- Experience with and enjoyment of 1:1 case management; excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage, inspire, and instruct young adults (ages 16-24)
- Knowledge of Alameda, San Francisco, and / or Contra Costa County Transitional Age Youth population needs, available resources, and a network within similar community-based organizations
- Agility and flexibility; successful work history within a scaling organization
- Self-motivated, comfortable with both independent and collaborative processes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in a related field or its equivalent
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and database user skills
- Touch typing
- Understanding of case notes and / or documentation
- Access to a car; licensed, insured driver
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Conversational Spanish language skills
- Teaching background
- Task and Client Management
- Focus on Impact and Effectiveness
- Interpersonal Skills
- Initiative, Learning, and Decision-making
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter letting us know why you think you’d be a great addition to our team. Please include YDS Opportunity in the subject line and email the resume and cover letter to: email@example.com Submissions sent without a cover letter will not be considered.