- Position Type
- Full Time
Make the Road New York (MRNY) is hiring a full time Development Associate to help meet the fundraising goals for an annual organizational budget of $19 million.
Make the Road New York (MRNY) builds the power of immigrant and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. MRNY operates neighborhood-based community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island; and White Plains, Westchester. With a membership of more than 23,000 low-income New Yorkers, MRNY tackles the critical issues facing our community: workplace justice, tenants' rights, immigrant rights, language-access, TGNCIQ rights, public education, health care access, police issues, and immigration reform.
Make the Road New York seeks a Development Associate to provide database expertise and management as well as support identifying, researching, and cultivating individual donors. This position is responsible for overseeing financial processing across all of our donor platforms, ensuring that Salesforce records are accurate and up-to-date, and driving list quality and building. In addition, this role will be responsible for donor research and will support the development and implementation of a comprehensive donor communications strategy, including mass (email, mail, social media) appeals. The Associate will work closely with senior staff, be part of a fast-paced development department, and report directly to the Major Gifts Officer.
This position is ideal for an ambitious go-getter with a deep commitment to social justice who thrives both in team settings and in independent work and is able to prioritize and execute multiple duties with minimal supervision. A strong candidate has proven success with database (ideally Salesforce) management and donor strategies as well as solid research and writing skills, meticulous attention to detail, and excellent interpersonal skills.
MRNY is a large, multi-faceted organization, and this position requires flexibility, a positive attitude, impeccable time management skills, rigorous attention to detail, a sense of humor, and the ability to juggle many tasks and manage competing priorities. This position will be based in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
- As the MRNY development team’s “Salesforce super user”, in coordination with senior staff, develop critical reports and evaluation tools, build quality lists, anticipate database needs, and troubleshoot issues
- In collaboration with the Major Gift Officer, oversee financial processing across all donor platforms as well as maintenance of accurate and up-to-date contacts, provide financial administrative support as needed, and regularly ensure that donor software is meeting MRNY needs
- Support the Major Gift Officer in researching and identifying new sources of financial support, including major individual and corporate donors and prospects; create and manage donor profiles in database; further build donor list by culling and researching new contacts from MRNY staff and other means
- Support the development and execution of a comprehensive individual donor strategy to help increase the number of small and medium-sized donors and increase their level of giving.
- Draft appeal language and alerts; research and pitch new donor retention strategies; help track long term and new donors with higher giving potential; assist with personalized and timely cultivation and appreciation of donors and prospects, including direct correspondence
- Provide writing support as needed, including report writing and drafting funder updates, memos, letters, and tailored communications for senior staff
- Provide administrative and logistical support for appeals, events, and projects as needed, including but not limited to supporting the efforts of MRNY’s allies network, supporting mailings, staffing events, and coordinating meetings or site visits
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Eligible to work in the US
- Knowledge of fundraising and planned giving concepts a plus
- 3+ years of relevant database management and fundraising experience for a nonprofit
- Bilingual English/Spanish (preferred)
- Commitment to social justice, with a desire to grow within the development department, and experience working in a multicultural and multi-ethnic work environment
- Ability to exercise high level of professional judgment and ethical behavior in handling confidential material with sensitivity and discretion
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel, and databases, ideally Salesforce
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively and to develop and drive a plan forward
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization with donors as well as interface with all levels of staff while maintaining flexibility, tact, and a positive attitude
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and unrelenting attention to detail
- Ability to juggle, prioritize and complete assignments under strict deadlines with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in word processing, database, and spreadsheet computer applications, specifically Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
MRNY offers an excellent benefit package including health insurance, 401K, and generous paid vacation, sick, personal days and paid maternity / paternity leave.
How to Apply:
Please immediately send cover letter and resume.
· Please include Development Associate in the subject line.
· Please attach the cover letter and resume AND copy of the cover letter into the body of the email.
Make the Road New York is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to ensure equal opportunity and equal treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, religion, color, citizenship, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, genetic information and sexual orientation, in all employment decisions including but not limited to hiring, compensation, benefits, training, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.