Director of Development
- Experience Level
The Center on Policy Initiatives is searching for an amazing Director of Development to join our team. CPI conducts research, advocates for policies and convenes local coalitions to help San Diegans harness their power to transform local governments and our economy. Our goal is to build an economy that supports good jobs, social equity and a sustainable environment in San Diego County.
We’re looking for someone who can expand on our 20-year track record of winning grant funding to support this work. We're also looking for someone who is excited to help us build a larger base of individual and organizational donors that will help sustain and propel this work for the next 20 years
- Develop and execute a comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan to meet and grow CPI’s annual budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and team.
- Develop and execute strategies to cultivate and grow CPI’s base of funders, individual donors and organizational donors/sponsors.
- Identify funding opportunities, write winning grant applications, and write effective foundation reports, on time.
- Prospect, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with donors
- Lead collaborative processes to develop CPI’s overall fundraising strategy and create proposals to support new initiatives.
- Support a culture of fundraising among staff and board members.
- Coordinate meetings with funders and donors for the Executive Director.
- Plan, lead, and execute fundraising or special events.
- Oversee grassroots fundraising efforts.
- Track and report fundraising efforts and outcomes.
- Coordinate and execute communications, materials, and acknowledgement for existing and prospective donors.
- Other duties as needed.
- Four or more years of fundraising experience at an organization with a $1+ million annual budget.
- Demonstrated success in personal solicitation of five-figure contributions from individuals.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated experience leading and coordinating project based teams.
- Familiarity with development practices for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Commitment to CPI’s mission including racial and gender equity.
- Experience as development director at an organization with a $2+ million annual budget.
- Experience working with donor databases.
- Experience managing a team, staff, and volunteers.
- Bilingual or multilingual.
- Have use of an automobile.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this position is between $65,000 and $81,250 per year. We offer a full benefits package including employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, and a generous paid time-off program including paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Development Director – ‘(your First and Last name)’”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, until the position is filled. Position available immediately.
As part of our selection process, we require an in-person interview. Travel assistance for in-person interviews is not available.
All positions are located at our offices in San Diego, unless otherwise noted. Given the high volume of applications we receive; it is not possible for us to contact all candidates. We are also unable to accept calls or direct e-mails regarding the status of applications.
The Center on Policy Initiatives respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We believe our strength lies in the broad range of people and partners we work with and represent. Inclusion is a driver of our institutional excellence and we seek out the participation of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees, board members, and volunteers.