- Experience Level
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Office Manager is responsible for overseeing and maintaining delivery operational and administrative services at Earthjustice Headquarters, as well as for supplying facilities assistance as needed to the California Regional Office and International Program in the San Francisco Office. The Office Manager is also responsible for the day-to-day management of organization-wide applications and workflows. The position is essential in providing an efficiently-operated office that meets the workplace needs of the staff and in supporting organizational operational systems and processes. The Office Manager will report to the Sr. Operations Director.
Reception Management (10%)
- Provides training to receptionists.
- Serves as backup for the receptionist.
- Ensures that the reception desk is staffed.
- Discusses and problem solves concerns involving visitors, staff, and callers and related issues to the processes at reception.
Office Systems Management (20%)
- Being back up for the Office Coordinator and Receptionist/Administrative Assistant.
- Ensures overall office appearance and housekeeping, provides day-to-day support in upkeep of kitchen, copy room, and conference spaces.
- Keeps appraised of changes in shipping services, identify opportunities for cost savings and better services, and serve as back up to handle incoming and outgoing mail.
- Liaison with property management to resolve building issues.
- Contributes to issues involving space configurations and coordinate moves within the office.
- Studies and recommends changes in office procedures and systems towards a more efficient office.
- Assists in establishing green features for the office and green certification when possible.
- Places supply orders if needed.
- Works with staff to get proper furniture ordered, delivered, and set up.
- Investigates new products, and keeping abreast of competitive rates, services, and systems.
- Coordinates ergonomic assessments between staff and ergonomist.
Office Technology and Machines
- Learns to operate all office equipment and systems, provides training to staff on the equipment, oversees proper use of all equipment.
- Troubleshoots office equipment and place service calls.
- Works with vendors to develop maintenance agreements and pricing.
- Keeps informed of new office technologies and make recommendations to better equip the office.
- Trains current and new staff on the Illness and Injury Prevention Program to ensure their knowledge on emergency procedures.
- Implements safety, security, and emergency evacuation systems in San Francisco.
- Trains staff floor wardens in emergency procedures.
- Develops and maintains an emergency procedure manual in San Francisco.
Operations Management (25%)
- Supports the implementation of our onboarding process and ensures the quality of the onboarding process for all workers.
- Updates and maintains the organization’s emergency notification system.
- Participates on the organization’s security team and tracks reports of security concerns across all locations.
- Advises for potential of efficiencies and cost savings with services, vendors, and workflows.
- Implements record retention policy and assists in maintaining document management system.
- Manages ergonomic program and provides ergonomic support across offices to reduce worker injury.
- Manages budget and allocation of funds for staff ergonomic and equipment requests.
- Orders ergonomic equipment when requested.
- Maintains vendor relationships and contracts with service and supply providers.
- Tracks and implements emergency systems to maintain compliance of emergency preparedness policies and procedures across the organization.
- Participates in discussions with the LPAs and Operations teams on implementing new systems.
- Finds opportunities to promote a culture of respect within the San Francisco office and with other locations.
Financial Responsibilities (10%)
- Develops a fiscal year budget for San Francisco administrative services and approves and tracks spending accordingly.
- Budgets for the San Francisco facilities and the Administration Department.
- Contributes to a culture of collaboration and partnership by encouraging staff and team members to view and conduct themselves as members of a truly integrated organization, working cross departmentally toward common goals.
- Acts as visible champion for integrating diversity, inclusion, and justice throughout the organization’s operations, culture, and programs, participate in management and diversity training, and model inclusive behaviors.
- Organizes various culture and morale building events for the San Francisco office, which includes setting up meeting space, developing menus, overseeing caterers, and getting materials for presentations prepared.
- Assists in providing supplies, snacks, and drinks and in setting-up departmental or organizational events as needed.
Support for staff
- Ensures that staff questions and concerns are addressed.
- Sets up staff workspace to be comfortable and ergonomically correct.
- Orients new staff to all office systems and staff.
- Provides support to the Operations Director.
- Assists IT with computer installs or moves.
- Serves as back up to IT on video conferencing, projectors, and conference calls.
- Provides IT support if IT staff are not available.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Part-time Receptionist, Receptionist/Administrative Assistant, Office Coordinator, temp hires and volunteers as needed.
- Schedules and leads regular meetings with direct reports and with the Admin team.
- Builds a sense of community in the Admin team and develop a strong rapport and trust within the team.
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff.
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Notary Public Commission and CPR and First Aid certification a plus.
- At least 3-5 years of office administrative experience required; understanding of and experience with a multi-site organizational structure preferred.
- At least 2-3 years supervisory experience required.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Offices suite of programs.
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the impact of their behavior) and cultural competence (an understanding of the need for additional learning about different cultures, backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning daily management practices).
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations.
- Strong team mentorship and communication skills
- Understands the individual and team strengths and areas for development and develops plans accordingly.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to remain composed and effective under pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Energetic self-starter with the ability to work well independently, as well as in a team setting.
- Courteous, professional and helpful demeanor, possessing of a positive attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work amicably with various departments and offices, while still accomplishing goals and meeting deadlines.
- High quality work standards and ethics, strong attention to detail, and willingness to dedicate time and hard work to Earthjustice.
- Capable problem solver with the ability to analyze factors in a situation and to develop creative and effective solutions.
- Effective multi-tasker with ability to quickly analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Interested candidates should submit the following online via the Jobvite system:
- Cover letter
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
More searches like this
- Accounting / Finance Environment Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Administrative / Clerical Environment Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Event Planning Environment Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Facilities / Equipment Environment Full Time jobs in San Francisco
- Technology / Data Management Environment Full Time jobs in San Francisco